63 Riv exhaust header questions

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

I have a slight leak on the passenger side exhaust header where it bolts to the engine. I'm in South Florida and don't know where to go to get it fixed. Anyone got an Idea? What kind of shop usually deals with this stuff. Seems like muffler shops don't want to mess with it.

Thanks, The weekend is here time to play with the Riv's

Any "competant" auto repair shop should be able to handle it but I emphasize the word competant and I'd prefer an oder guy who has experience on older cars be the one doing the work. There were no gaskets originally between the exhaust manifold and the head so if there are gaskets in there now the right way to do it is to remove them but in doing so you may find the exhaust manifold sealing surface needs trued to get a good metal to metal seal which gets a little more involved. the manifold would need taken to an automotive machine shop. Its common to find gaskets installed and often times they are installed because someone thinks adding a gasket has to be better than no gasket which is not true with these.

If there are no gaskets currently the manifold will need removed and both surfaces cleaned and inspected then action taken on the the cause of the leak. If the bolts aren't too rusty labor shouldn't be too bad. Once you correct the issue properly it will last a long time. The use of gaskets can cause uneven torque during heating and cooling which potentially can cause a crack. I have also noticed when gaskets are added they eventually fail and start leaking.

Guest Steeleco

I think Jason's post above is right on the money. Espicially the part about "competant" repair shop. So I made an arrangement with a shop who I showed what I wanted done and sure enough they wimped out on trying to loosen the first bolt on the exhaust manafold. I do respect the mechanic's opinion that he was afraid the bolt head would sheer off but agian wasted my time and money messing with it. If a bolt does break how do you get to it to drill it out etc? Does the engine have to come out of the car? Thanks for the help guys. Have a great weekend.

I've taken cars to competent exhaust shops to have those stubborn nut/bolts removed. They're not afraid to get in there with a torch and really heat things up. Have someone with experience do it, don't let them assign the job to a novice. The heat will break the rust and usually the bolt/nut can be extracted cleanly. When reinstalling, be sure to coat the bolt/nut with an anti-seize compound. That's "Espicially" important.

Ed