Question on This 22nd series 8 passenger for sale

Guest BJM

Sorry, could not get my questions in there after psoting the link.

OK -

This has a "Super" (lesser) grille, yet the seller states it has a 356?

Is his production figure accurate for the lesser non Custom 8 - 8 passenger cars?

There was a Super 8 passenger car listed in the CNB this month for $7500 with a lot of work done. I thought that was a good price. This "may be" a better price.

Comments please on accuracy of the seller's statements.

You might see if the owner is willing to provide the body ID number off the patent plate and the motor number off block near the distributor. Since production totals of models are categorized together it's harder to say, but at a quick glance the production number looks low for 22nd series LWBs. Numbers are in the low thousands but again, lumped together. On a quick look, didn't see a mention of an upgrade option to the 356 available on a super 8 either but suppose it is possible. The motor number would tell if it is really a 356 or the more probable 327. It's also possible it's not the original engine to the car. Lots of info on the limos and LWB cars in Robert Neals 22-23 series book but without numbers harder to root it out.

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

I don't think it's a 356. I will call the seller tomorrow but he says it's a Super which would be 2222 model at about 1600 production. Only the 327 was offered. No eggcrate grille and no Cormorant.

Looks like you already own a Custom 8. The 356 engine is a couple inches higher than the 327 due to the longer stroke. Take a look at your own car, and then compare to the photo you posted. When viewed one after the other, it is quite noticeable.

I called the seller, we had a nice conversation. He didn't know what he had, so it is a Super I believe #2222 body style. I said that he said it was a Super but Supers did not have the 356 and he said, "oh, well, that's what I was told. He is not a Packard guy and backed off the 33,000 original miles comment, said "that's what the guy told him" that he bought it from. Note: It does look very solid in the photos.

327 has a crack in it and overheats.