Inner Fender Seals

kdml

I purchased these inner fender seals from rubber the right way, as I figured I needed them (see first picture). Unfortunately, my originals were non-existent and I cannot figure out were these go. Anyone have a diagram or picture of where these belong?

Also, I had these (second and third pictures) splash shields in a box of parts that came with the car. Any ideas where they belong and where I can get replacement rubber pieces for each?

Thanks

Doug

post-64567-143141725003_thumb.jpg

post-64567-143141724997_thumb.jpg

post-64567-143141725001_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. I need to replace all the rubber pieces in your pics too. I just took my fenders off and I can tell you that pictures 2 & 3 go in the front most lower portion of left and right inner fender wells. They seem to shield the backside of the headlight mechanism/assembly.

David

'65 Riviera, Deluxe, A/C

Doug,

Your are in luck. I just recently removed all the rubber baffles from my '65 in order to clean and paint the underside of the car. I made my own complete set of new ones. I took pictures of the parts in question showing how they are installed. The headlight plates/baffles go behind the headlights and the baffle seals the area over the bumper. You can easily make the rubber pieces for the headlight plates yourself. On my car, the rubber was stapled to the metal. Your car,which was probably made earlier in the year has clips to hold the rubber on, this modification was done by Buick Dealers as part of a recall effort. The Right Side Upper Baffle goes directly behind the A-arm opening in the inner fender. The two holes at the ends of the triangular cut out get positioned over top of one another and a single clip holds them. Note that this piece is located on the inside of the wheelwell. The "L" shaped piece is the Right (and Left) Side Lower baffle. One clip attaches it to the inner fender and the othe end is wrapped underneath the frame and is retained by a second clip behind the skirt at the bottom of the inner fender. This hole is not shown in the pictures, but you'll see the hole if you look there. Once the baffles are in place, a metal shield is installed over top of them as shown in the remaining picture. Please do not hesitate to ask for help if this is unclear. I have patterns for the complete set of baffles for a '65 and I can take additional pictures if you need them. Hope this helps.

Mike

post-42951-143141726303_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143141726308_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143141726313_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143141726317_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike, great post.

On the headlight plates/baffles are the rubber seals the same shape? One of mine looks like it was replaced with some other material.

Thanks again, I will post up if I still have trouble figuring it out

Doug,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.The rubber seal at the bottom of the headlight shields is the same on both sides.

2. The material for these seals came from McMaster-Carr. It is 1/8" thick fabric reinforced neoprene rubber. A 12"x12" sheet is part number 8599K33 and costs about $26.00. The L-Shaped seals at the bottom of the wheel wells were also made from this. The remaining baffles were made from 3/32" thick rubber I got from E-Bay(Rubbermann7). A 14"x72" sheet was $16.99 and is enough to make several sets of baffles. They are very easy to make if you have parts for patterns.

My original baffles appear to have been made from scrap inner tube and tire sidewall material. I had a '64 Riviera that was like this as well. Buick was trying to save a buck wherever possible!

There are a few other baffles that were not shown in your pictures. If it would be helpful, I can take a few other pictures showing the locations for these as well.

OK guys, the attached picture shows the entire set of inner fender seals/baffles for a '65 Riviera. They are positioned in the picture as you would see them from the driver's seat.

-The two pieces in the very front are the seals for bottom of the headlight shields. They are the same on both sides and are not included in the available kits. You can easily make duplicates.

-The large baffles that surround the A-arms go on the engine side the inner fenders.

-The small baffle with the round cutout also goes on the engine side of the inner fender (below the are where the alternator is). It shares retainer clip with the A-arm baffle, that's why the hole is there. Install this piece first, then the large A-arm baffle goes on top.

-The baffles on both side behind the A-arm openings are located inside the fender wells. When you install this piece on the passenger side, overlap the front two holes and secure with a common retainer (see previous picture)

-The L-shaped pieces are attached by one clip on the skirt at the bottom of the wheel well. (see previous picture). The bottom of the baffle gets bent backwards and is fastened by a second clip behind the skirt. The bottom skirt is a separate piece from the inner fender. The rear mounting hole is located in the flange where the two pieces meet.

I hope this clears things up a little bit. If you are missing any of the parts, let me know and I can send you a pattern.

post-42951-143141731982_thumb.jpg