1930 Buick model 47 reassembly advice?

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

I have some help available next month to reassemble my Buick. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the reassembly of the sheet metal parts (hood, fenders, runningboards, splash aprons). I hung the doors already. My main concern is to not scratch anything and to get the gaps acceptable. I will be using correct fender welt and hood lacing.

I see some people use yellow painters tape to protect the edges of the painted panels and cover the chrome pieces with tape?

This is my first reassembly. Any words from the wise?

Thanks,

Dwight

I have reassembled my 1926 model 47 twice now after two restorations 30 years apart and the best advice I ever got (from an old timer the first time) was not to tighten anything - fenders to aprons, fender supports to frame, fenders to running boards, etc. until all parts are loosely in place. Then rotate around all the bolts, all the pieces, slowly tightening and managing all the gaps and alignments as you go.

Scratching is always a big concern on a job like you are doing. The "Painter's tape" does work, but be careful if your paint is not fully cured, the tape may still pull it off in specks! Bob A. gave good advice. Have some touch up paint on hand if the worst should happen. Those things DID happen in the factory too. Good luck!

Dwight,

In the 3M brand looks like either the "Yellow" as you noted or the "Sea Green" are the way to go. They also have a "Blue" with a 60-day removal timeframe that would probably work OK for this application, but it would seem that you need to pay close attention that you don't end up with the wrong "Blue". I'm pretty sure I have seen both types of "Blue" at Home Depot:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTtnXfanxM_EVtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=70-0711-0230-8.pdf

Thanks,

Michael