1969 Coolant Recovery

Guest R69GS

I have been told there is a Buick Dealer Service Bulletin covering the addition of a coolant recovery

system to 1969 Skylark/GS cars. The number I was told is 69-I-104. Can anyone verify any part of this information?

Thanks in advance

I have some of the Service Bulletins, but not in a position to pull them out to look.

From what I know, there was an "accessory" available from the dealer to be used on Buicks, Opel, etc.

But the SB says a '70-72 Overflow can be used on a '68-69. so if you might be having the car judged you may want to have a copy, otherwise, get on Ebay and look for an aftermarket if you just wish not to leave hazardous material every time you park it, or there is a repro of the '70-72 available. Hope that helps!

I there is a GM TSB on that subject, it would probably (as Roberta mentioned) involve retro-fitting a slightly later model item to the earlier models, along with then-current GM part numbers for the parts and any related fasteners. PLUS, a coolant recovery-rated radiator cap!

Just some suspicions . . .

NTX5467

Thank you for your feedback. I have had our GS judged at 2010 Buick Nationals, BCA 44900) and 2012 Central AACA #998880. I have installed a early version (white top) recovery tank with the correct radiator cap. You are correct I think I need a copy of the Service Bulletin allowing this upgrade per Buick. I have looked on e-bay and various forums looking for someone selling thier collection of Service Bulletins with no luck. I hate to ask, but can you look when you have time to look for the bulletin? I'm willing to compensate you.

There are 6 Pictures posted at R69GS, view my profile. If you want a picture of the coolant recovery tank I will have to take one and post it. Later

Roberta, Thank you for your efforts. Please pass my thanks on to Rich G. also. This I what I like about old cars, people helping people. Thank again. Bill Gorman R69GS