1937 Olds 8 cyl Sedan for Sale in MN

Hudsy Wudsy

I came across this L37 on Craigslist Minneapolis. I don't know anything about the car and I don't know if the asking price is in the ballpark or not. I just missed buying an identical original one a few years ago. When I arrived the seller and the new buyer were talking about how great it would look to chop the roof on it and who locally could do it best. Some one please save this one from such a fate!

1937 Olds $ Dr sedan 8 cyl

3k13If3J85N65I15H7d1ceb693c1601951204.jpg

Hudsy

$5000 is probably a fair price based solely on the little information provided. 1st, that body looks fantastic and I wouldn't paint it or touch it. That alone saves a person a ton of money. 2nd, it's an 8 cyl car, top of the line. The Great Depression required a lot more 6 cyl Oldsmobiles to go out then 8's. Look at the bumpers and running boards. If the interior is serviceable, then $5000 is a good price. Before I opened the link, I expected a seller looking to cash in with some goofy price, maybe $15,000.

Others with more knowledge on these cars might comment, like Paul Hartlieb. So far, Craigs List has offered up 3 1930's Oldsmobile 8 cylinder cars this winter. That's pretty impressive. Usually in Hemmings and I dare say the Olds clubs, one hardly ever sees ANY 30's or 20's Oldsmobiles for sale.

Oh, boy...

Now I'm being portrayed as being knowledgable on Pre-War Oldsmobiles. That's scary.

I'd say $5k isn't out of line. It would have more on the windshield at Hershey. And he'd probably take less. But, I see missing belt line trim. I hope it's in the trunk.

Paul

The one that I mentioned just having missed was for sale for $6500. What it actually sold for, I don't know. Also, that was several years ago. It did, however have a really nice original interior. We don't know what this one has in that regard. Bryan, need we even emphasize the advantages of an all steel body? Yeah, this is a great looking car. I love the egg-crate grille. It's easily worthy of a Cadillac. Unfortunately, the "F" series grilles look a little truck-like to me. The Oldsmobile division seemed to be capable of some somewhat unique design ideas at times. Off the bat, the taillights on coupes of this year being mounted up quite high on either side of the deck is a good example of a departure from the norm. Dashboard design differences, as well. While I'm not naive enough to think that this particular '37 has the original paint, I've come across other Oldsmobiles of this era with relatively light colored paint jobs. Do you guys think that the pale color on this sedan was a factory offering? These pictures of other '37s are from Google:

18417774_1.jpg&sa=X&ei=LnH0UILXHYSLrAGUi4C4DQ&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Hg&usg=AFQjCNFGs85uY4apjT6Gehyzv0Ih6_VlNA

1937-oldsmobile-19151.jpg&sa=X&ei=fnH0UJfmEoODqgHeroH4Aw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Zg&usg=AFQjCNHj6Wmy9md4qRRi82BXLk6KHVe2nQ36olds1.jpg&sa=X&ei=mXH0UMOQFcbsqAGds4DwCw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Zg&usg=AFQjCNF3lBYNaZzlWfMj8eT-VsmKrs9oBw

The sedan pictured in the lower part of my just previous post is apparently for sale, though I can't find a date on the listing. I've included a link to it. It appears that they may be asking $13,500 for it, however the price seems to be something of a typo, so I can't be positive. If $13,500 is in fact the asking price, it puts the sedan in northern MN in a fair light, value wise.

OLDSMOBILE 1937 4DR SEDAN - Port Orange - Cars - oldsmobile 1937

Geez, I just had a deja vu, I wonder if this is the car that I mentioned as having just been sold a few years ago. I recall that it was a pale color, as well. It was at the Minnesota Street Rod Association's "Back To The Fifties" at the MN State Fair Grounds. If that is the case this car has a decent interior in it. I wish I wasn't juggling so many other cars at the moment. Hmm, I wonder if I...

Hudsy

Good catch on probable original color. Like Paul said, I hope the missing trim is in the car somewhere. Might the original color be on the wheels too?

This is a fantastic Art Deco color. Buick, Packard and Chrysler had variations on the cream color or light tans.

Bryan, It appears that the color name was "Santone Cream". I want to mention that when I referred to it earlier as a "daring" color, I meant that I think a guy who would buy a big sedan (as opposed to a coupe or a convertible) in this light color was one who wanted to stand out from the crowd. Personally, I love it and all other similar "Anti-Depression Era" colors. I have no doubt that this is the car that I saw a few years ago. My memory of it's details isn't very specific, but I know I was so very impressed by it that the thought of it, in particular, being street rodded sickened me. I'm pretty sure that I recall the interior being quite nice and very presentable the way it was. I presume that the seller would provide photos of it to anyone interested in the car. As I said before, I don't know what it sold for, but the price in the window was $6,500. I live in the city and have three old cars, so I'm not in any position to entertain thoughts of buying another. When I was younger, I would have, though and then wasted money on storage costs because I had to own them all! I hope that someone buys this nice sedan and saves it from the slam, bag and crate crowd. As a rule, I don't much care what they do with old Ford or Chevs that they drag out of a field, but a nice, top of the line car like this one which has survived in original shape (repaint aside) for so many years deserves to be treated with respect. I'm including a link to someone's flickr collection of photos of a F37 coupe in this color. If you check it out, note the rather stylish dashboard.

1937 Oldsmobile F37 Coupe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

This picture (from the Craigslist ad) shows the missing pieces of trim better.

Well, this is a picture I had not seen, and of the driver, as opposed to passenger side, of the car. Yes, the missing trim is obvious here. Thanks. You saved me a visit to the eye doc!

D, I'm afraid that you are missing something. If you'll look at my original posting (on the top of this page) you'll see a line of type in printed in blue beneath the body of my words and above the photo of the car. When you see those lines in blue like that on different postings there are indicating that they are a "link" of some sort to another page on another site. In this case the link takes you to a specific Craigslist page for Minneapolis/St Paul which shows the original listing of the car for sale with the seller's description and photos. Click on the blue line and go places you've never been before!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

You are right, I did miss the embedded link. Probably missed it because I went straight to the attached pic. I ordinarily would not go off site to view a pic when there is one with the msg I am reading.

As for "Click on the blue line and go places you've never been before!", see ,my sig!

Hudsy,

I was searching Minneapolis CL last night and came across this ad updated. Wow, it looks like the motor has been treated to a rebuild and everything looks in order. Also, I found another 37 Olds, this one a 6 cyl with that grille you don't care for. I agree, it makes a TON of difference in appearance, but price was less.

I am aware that there isn't a lot of money being spent in the old car hobby on cars like these but I am a bit surprised that the 8 cyl car is still unsold at $6000 obo.