What should I do with these exhaust manifolds?

Guest Lasse

I just removed my exhaust manifolds (-63). The passenger side one was huffing and puffing out of the heat riser tube at annoying intervals, causing the engine to hickup also. There were also gaskets in place, which I believe should not be there.

What should I do with them? Do I weld the tube shut or is there another way? The mechanisms spring is still there, doesn´t really move. The counterweight(?) is long gone.

And I guess a machinist could sand blast the manifolds and straighten out the edge so that I can live without the gaskets?

See the pics! Thanks

post-75661-14313933152_thumb.jpg

post-75661-143139331511_thumb.jpg

post-75661-143139331515_thumb.jpg

post-75661-143139331516_thumb.jpg

post-75661-143139331517_thumb.jpg

post-75661-143139331517_thumb.jpg

post-75661-143139331519_thumb.jpg

Take it to a machinist and have it planed flat. The heads have to be flat as well where the two sufaces meet.

Is there a way to seal the tube to the manifolds so that you can still draw hot air to the choke and get rid of the leak? I'd think in your climate that you'd want all the help you could get in cold weather.

Any tricks on planing the contact surface on the heads without removing them?

I don't really need the heat riser, the tube to the choke is also long gone. I only drive in the summer time when there's lot less snow!;)

Guest Steeleco

Hi, I did not know that exhaust could come out through the carb heat riser port. Can exhaust actually come out of that port if the heat rise pipe is not connected?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Steele, do you mean the pipe between the manifold and the carb? Sure it does, at least in mine. I´m not sure if I get your drift though...

Still pondering on a way to shut the heat riser down completely, I just want the exhaust to go down the tail pipe. Chemical metal, welding, jam a screw donwn the hole?

I keep getting confused as well. In what I read, you are discussing two things at one time. 1) the choke tube - carries heated fresh air to the choke; comes out of the top of the manifod, and 2) the heat riser - flapper in the end of the exhaust manifold. Which are you having the problem with?

Ed, I finally got through my thick skull how this thing is meant to operate. For some reason I´ve always assumed that it´s EXHAUST that is channeled to the carb!

The tube is there pretty firmly and the reason it huffs and puffs is because it has a crack in it, 1 mm wide. So exhaust gets in it and comes out the top hole. I guess the simplest solution is to just weld it shut?

I would think so if you have someone that can weld cast iron. From what I understand, you have to get the surrounding iron pretty hot to weld. If that's so, make sure that you don't heat and warp the entire manifold.

Is there anyway to thread that hole and screw a bolt into it? A bolt with some sealant around it might work for you as well.

Ed

That's true, I really dont want to warp it when welding. A thread and a bolt is a good idea, the problem comes with tube. I'll have to try if it's possible to yank it out of there.

By the way, how hot do the manifolds get? Just wondering if there's any kind of sealant and paint that can withstand the heat. I was thinking of blasting and painting them also. Were they coated or painted when they came out of the factory?

Good morning

Ive got the same problem on my Riv, the tube thru the manifold is damaged -exhaust is making noise and getting into the choke coil rendering it useless. On other projects the choke tube has been removed from the manifold then the holes left are tapped and plugged with A flat point set screw. Same with the heat riser valve, the flapper and shaft removed, holes tapped and sealed with set screws....no leaks, no choke :)

Ted, how did you get the tube out? It seems pretty determined to be there?

Ed, thanks for the tip, I think I´ll give that stuff a shot.