The blue grey '36 chevy standard

Howdy old car folks!

Recently I made the choice to go with domestic automobiles after 15 years of restoring European stuff... After looking around for a month or so I found this '36 chevrolet close to home and worked a deal with the owner. He'd bought it a few years before from a guy with a barn full of cars with restoration in mind but work kept him busy and never gave him the chance... It sat covered in his yard until I scooped it up a few weeks ago.

The old girl is in pretty good shape with one repaint. A few spots of rot here and there but rock solid floor pans. It came with lots of original accessory goodies and even runs. Pulled a few creature nests out of the rear seat and lots of dried grass and spider webs out from under... but no actual live or dead animals.... yet!

The plan:

Repair the brakes, fuel system, drop the oil pan and clean out any goo, adjust the adjustable and see how she runs. If we're good there its on to sheet metal repair, repainting and interior work.

A little side note...

My grandfather hot rodded in his youth and restored cars later on until the end of his days. I spent many, many days out there helping him when I was old enough. My only regret is not having more time with him. My favorite of his stable was his prized 1937 Cadillac, black with chrome trim that just screamed "gangster". My '36 reminds me very much of those days when I would stand on the running board and peak into the window's of his '37, itching to go inside. The wait is over, this one's for you grandpa.

post-90347-143139313767_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313771_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313774_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313779_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313783_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313786_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313789_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313792_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313795_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139313799_thumb.jpg

It is great to start with a complete car. Looks like you found a great one to bring back to life. Good luck with your resurrection plans. Your removal of the oil pan to check for sludge is a very good one. Make sure that you take off the valve cover and really soak the valve train. And also remove the plugs and put in some Marvel Mystery Oil too. Old engines just love some new lubrication. Keep us posted on your progress. We all like to follow alone. And welcome to the forum.

Started pulling parts off the car last week... brake lines, fuel lines, etc... Floor pans are solid but there is some rust in the rockers and passenger lower door frame.

When it was running and I drove it a wee bit into the garage there was this lound slapping whenever you let off the clutch. The transmission engine mount seemed pretty soft and you could tell by looking underneath that the angine was cocked to the passenger side a bit. The clutch fork is hitting the opening in the bellhousing due to the angle and i'm sure its the source of the slapping noise. The mount itself had gone bad with the rubber being as firm as a Kraft singles cheese slice, upon close inspection the threaded holes in the tranny are trashed. I'm sure as the mount went bad and more play was allowed over time it just beat the thing to death. Looks like i'll be sourcing a new transmission tail with good mount threads... or having them repaired.

The pile of rotten parts grows!

post-90347-143139318565_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139318568_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139318571_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139318574_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143139318577_thumb.jpg

Guest 36chev

Hello Lathi35,

I have a car exactly like yours and have collected a number of spare parts over the years. Included in those are a bunch of NOS transmission studs and several tranmission/motor mounts like you need. If you want, I'll be glad to send you a couple of the studs or so for no charge and a NOS trasmission mount with good rubber for $25.00 plus shipping (will throw the studs in the box). The mount I'm thinking of still has soft, pliable rubber but it does have one small crack around the bolt hole that opens up when pressed upon. But I think it will work well and wouldn't hesitate to use it myself. I'll look through the mounts I have and choose the best one. If you want these, let me know your shipping address and I'll send you the cost. You can send me a PM.

If would be of use to you, I also have extra NORS front and side motor mounts that are in excellent usable condidtion. Let me know if you would be interested in any of those. Plus a good amount of other mechanical used and NOS/NORS parts, especially engine and suspension.

I'll also be glad to provide advice specific to the car, however limited that may be...

Also, with all the pipes in the oil pan on this splash and spray oil system, be sure to clean out all of the tubes real well.

Hello Lathi35,

I have a car exactly like yours and have collected a number of spare parts over the years. Included in those are a bunch of NOS transmission studs and several tranmission/motor mounts like you need. If you want, I'll be glad to send you a couple of the studs or so for no charge and a NOS trasmission mount with good rubber for $25.00 plus shipping (will throw the studs in the box). The mount I'm thinking of still has soft, pliable rubber but it does have one small crack around the bolt hole that opens up when pressed upon. But I think it will work well and wouldn't hesitate to use it myself. I'll look through the mounts I have and choose the best one. If you want these, let me know your shipping address and I'll send you the cost. You can send me a PM.

If would be of use to you, I also have extra NORS front and side motor mounts that are in excellent usable condidtion. Let me know if you would be interested in any of those. Plus a good amount of other mechanical used and NOS/NORS parts, especially engine and suspension.

I'll also be glad to provide advice specific to the car, however limited that may be...

Also, with all the pipes in the oil pan on this splash and spray oil system, be sure to clean out all of the tubes real well.

PM sent!

Guest Uncle Bill
Howdy old car folks!

Recently I made the choice to go with domestic automobiles after 15 years of restoring European stuff... After looking around for a month or so I found this '36 chevrolet close to home and worked a deal with the owner. He'd bought it a few years before from a guy with a barn full of cars with restoration in mind but work kept him busy and never gave him the chance... It sat covered in his yard until I scooped it up a few weeks ago.

The old girl is in pretty good shape with one repaint. A few spots of rot here and there but rock solid floor pans. It came with lots of original accessory goodies and even runs. Pulled a few creature nests out of the rear seat and lots of dried grass and spider webs out from under... but no actual live or dead animals.... yet!

The plan:

Repair the brakes, fuel system, drop the oil pan and clean out any goo, adjust the adjustable and see how she runs. If we're good there its on to sheet metal repair, repainting and interior work.

A little side note...

My grandfather hot rodded in his youth and restored cars later on until the end of his days. I spent many, many days out there helping him when I was old enough. My only regret is not having more time with him. My favorite of his stable was his prized 1937 Cadillac, black with chrome trim that just screamed "gangster". My '36 reminds me very much of those days when I would stand on the running board and peak into the window's of his '37, itching to go inside. The wait is over, this one's for you grandpa.

Nostalgia! Back in the late 50's I had two 36 Chevys! One I paid $25. for and the other $35. Got a lot of mileage out of each. I was getting 20 MPG on the road! Woudn't mind having 'em back! They were easy to work on.

Uncle bill, Porterville, CA

Guest PortCity PanHead

Good lookin' car! The interior is remarkable. I'll be following this one. Good luck with those engine mounts :)

Not much to report as of yet, finally got all the brake lines and fuel system off. I've been gathering the needed parts for the fuel system and brakes as well as motor mount repair parts. The weather looks to be in the 50's saturday so I plan to hit it hard then.

I got samples of some new mohair and founf one that matched pretty close. I'd love to keep the seats and door panels but they're pretty frail and moldy in spots from water.

I've started removing the glass as every window is either cracked or delaminating or both. It took a whole evening to get the windsheild out... that darn rubber trim had become stuck to everything it touched in a major way. At least I didn't have to worry about breaking any glass!

• 3 weeks later...

I spent last weekend running brake lines and gas lines, rebuilt the carb and finished the correct fuel pump instead of that funky replacement that leaked.

I kicked off the weekend this afternoon by fighting some rusted studs on the exhaust manifold. I won and lost... they sheared off. Interestingly they used brass nuts on the manifold to pipe flange. I see various places selling brass nuts for this purpose saying they won't rust and get stuck... after 77 years they do get stuck!

Still to cold to clean or paint for another 8 weeks so the teardown continues, that way I can hit it as soons as the temps come up.

post-90347-14314172324_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got some chevy time in! Pulled the front clip to clean/paint the frame engine. Pulled the oil pan and found low amounts of sludge. Everything looked clean except for some light scoring on the fuel pump lobe but it was minimal. The master cylinder was pulled today also for a rebuild as some of the passages were plugged and the mating surface to the cap needed to be dressed. A pervious owner had been using a expandable drain plug as a cap for a long time allowing rust to eat into the top... bubba strikes again!

post-90347-143141812258_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143141812261_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143141812265_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143141812268_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143141812272_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Its been a busy summer so not much time for the Chevy until this week.

I spent most of the summer tracking down some parts, the most important of which being a better frame. The front crossmember was shot on mine as well as a bent frame horn and some other sever rust damage. Between the two i'll end up with a good frame.

post-90347-143142229003_thumb.jpg

Still cleaning sludge out of the engine and having the camshaft worked on. Since my lack of space at the moment is pretty severe i'm going to have to do this one a little backwards... I'll work on the engine the way it sits, clean and paint all the little bits, and repair sheet metal. As soon as we move this spring i'll sandblast the frame, fix it and then start moving the restored parts over to it. I'll finish with the body paint and interior after the chassis is rock'n and roll'n.

post-90347-143142228732_thumb.jpg

post-90347-143142228992_thumb.jpg