1935 buick model 41 production figures

Guest 35buick41

Guest 35buick41

Hi, I hope someone out there can help me out. I bought a 1935 Buick model 41 4 door sedan this summer and I think it might be kind of rare with the options it has. First of all though is the story behind the car. My great grandfather bought the car new in 1935 up in Ely Minnesota and owned it until 1962 when he traded it for a 1952 Buick at the same dealer. It then ended up in my hometown which is about 50 miles south of Ely called Virginia Mn where the Buick/Pontiac dealer bought it in 1964 and it sat behind their dealership for 10 years and they said they were going to restore it and never did so the guy that I bought it from finally conviced them to sell it to him in 1974 and he only drove it very sparingly in the summer as to date it only has 55,000 actual miles!! I'm only 25 years old but knew about the buick since I was about 5 years old, my dad would take me to see it every year and we got the same answer every year that its not for sale!! Well May 28th of this year I got a call and it was the guy who owned it saying his kids didn't want the car and he was getting to old to finish it so he said if I wanted to buy it I could!! I about fell over when I heard this and then I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $3400 so I said SOLD!! Then when I got there to look at it he said Oh by the way it runs and drives!!! He had just redone the motor and clutch and they only had about 20 miles on them!!! I was shocked but to me the car is Priceless just cause of its history then come to find out the car is a completly rust free survivor that had just very light surface rust on it from sitting outside covered up for 30 years!!! Anyways it has options that I haven't ever seen on another small bodied Buick. The car has Dual Sidemounts, a radio, heater, pinstriping, and a foldup luggage rack, I'm trying to find out how many model 41's they made with these options as I have been looking at these cars since I was little and never seen another one with these things on it!! If anyone knows anything about these cars PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! I would be very grateful!! Fred Brunfelt<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The easy part is the total number of 1935 41 four door sedans built..... 18,638, it was the most popular 1935 model. The next highest volume model in 1935 was the model 47 four door sedan with 6,250 built. I suspect that most of the cars sold in the north had the heater. but there are no know numbers on cars with sidemounts, radio etc. For some reason Buick did not track that information.

Congradultions Fred on landing up with the car that your great grandfather bought new. It sounds like a nice car and will make something that you can restore or just "clean up" and pass on to your family.

kaycee

Guest 35buick41

Thanks! Yeah it is a great car! I have been driving it a little and I gave it a quick original all black paint job and it actually looks pretty good! I have to get new tires for it then I will drive it farther. It runs awesome and shifts just like a new car. The guy I bought it from was 77 years old and he was telling me after he rebuilt the motor and clutch he took it down the highway at 75 miles an hour!! I would never drive it that fast but according to him it will do it!! If you want to see pics of it go on my facebook account. My name is Fred Brunfelt and there are pics of it where I found it and what it looks like now!! My pics are too big to post here so facebook is the only place to see them for now.

Hi Fred,

I remember the first Buick that my late father had. It was a 40 series 1934, and I was about 5 years old. It also had dual sidemounts a trunk rack. I've been a Buick owner for the last fifty five + years, and always loved their looks and the way they run. Good luck with your piece of history!

kaycee

Fred I own a '34 model 41 which I managed to buy about three years ago now. I purchased it because my grandfather bought one brand new in 1934 and it turned out to be the same color as grandads was. It was a very basic model with the continental type spare tire on the back behind the trunk no heater or radio. I believe that yours is a special order with the options that you mentioned. As I recall even the larger Buicks in '34-35 didn't come with a radio or heater unless they were ordered or installed at the dealer. I have just really started the restoration of the one that I bought. Fortunately it's about 97% there so I'm only looking for a few pieces. Good Luck with the one you have. There are a good group of guys who hang out here with a wealth of information and experience. You should also join the Buick Club of America another great source for information and parts. Mark

Guest 35buick41

Cool!! I have always loved the 34-35 Buicks I think they are one of the most beautiful cars ever made! I am going to join the Buick Club this month. Good luck with your car mark and it would be cool to see some pics of it sometime!!