brass or copper ?

Guest 57 pontiac

Guest 57 pontiac

thanks for the info now tell me how you knew and I did not. How do you tell one from the other ?

57 Pontiac.<P>I concur with Stllrng...Brass.<P>Color is one indicator (copper shade or brass shade).<P>A magnet will not draw on non-ferrous material.<P>As a test, polish it with Brasso. Let it sit for a week and see if it has a tinge of green which should show up where the metal meets the hose first.<P>Copper is not too rigid. Rather soft.<P>Brass has more strength.<P>Regards, Peter J. smile.gif" border="0

Oxidised brass will occasionally assume a copper like tinge misleading folks into taking it for copper but upon polishing will reveal it's yellowish color.

LI stellite...correct.<P>Another avenue is what we call the "ring" test in the foundry business. It would fail ISO-9000 standards, but, for the hobby, it would help.<P>If the piece in question is free (un-assembled) hang it on a piece of wire and tap it with something light, like screw a driver. Takes some playing around, but, you should notice a difference in the sound pitch.<P>In ferrous castings, if you want to find out if the part is grey iron, versus, steel or ductile iron, hang the part as loosely as possible and tap it with a hammer. If it has a noticeable "ring" to it then it is steel or ductile iron. If it has a dull thud sound, it is grey iron.<P>Just remember to hang the part with a coat hangar, or, similar light gauge media. If you use your fingers, you will dampen the sound and make the test difficult, if not, a failure.<P>Not rocket science, but, it will give one a spring board as to the matrix.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0<P>[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]<p>[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]

Does the underside of the cast base have "Bridgeport" in raised letters? If so it was made by Bridgeport Brass Co.in Bridgeport, Ct. Even if it does not the tube will be brass, a copper tube would start to bend out of shape after repeated use.

Guest 57 pontiac

I have just acquired an older air tire pump. When I got it it was very dirty and I cleaned it up and found that the "tube " part was shining. I don't know if it is copper that I shined up or if it is Brass. A magnet does not stick to either so I can't use that. Any thoughts about how I can tell. I can read the Ford part number it starts with "T " and I think four or five numbers.

Guest 57 pontiac

The word Bridgeport does not appear. The unit is not complete but at least I now know what I have and we able to guess its value better. Thanks to all

Guest 57 pontiac

BRIDGEPORT BRASS CO I have some other brass parts that are stamped Bridgeport, did that company make most of the brasss parts for cars, or did they also make items for other uses ? I have some parts thatae I have no idea what they are, I guess that there is a good chance that they are from autos. When you come up with items from that time I get lost, I guess I'm still living in the fiftys.

57 Pontiac:<P>Bridgeport Brass is, of course, a very old company.<P>On a historical note, New England was the foundry captiol of the country at one time, starting with the Pilgrims. The Saugus Iron Works in Massachusetts is, I believe the first, or, oldest ferrous foundry.<P>The reason so many lock and hardware companies were/are located in New England is due to the "very thin section, delicate parts" that the foundries could produce. Many hardware parts you buy today are "stampings". This is due to a lack of skill or interest in making thin section parts, and, economics (stampings in volume runs are cheaper and faster to produce.)<P>Regards to all, Peter J.<BR> wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0