Under hood valance bracket bolt

Vincent Vega

How is this bolt held in place? I have removed the strut to expose the head in the shock tower. I have tried to hammer it out, but it will not budge. Is it threaded? Why am I removing it? It broke off some time ago and there is not enought thread to hold the bracket in place. Winter project fun.

Thanks, VV

I concur w/Daniel, I just can't get a mental picture from the description. It almost sounds like one of the studs that the strut tower brace is attached to?

That's the one. No camera today.

Four bolts come through the strut tower. 3 are for the strut. 4th is for the strut tower brace. That is the one I need. It uses a 13mm nut.

I do not know for certain, but the few times I have had the tower brace off, that stud was so rigid, I would bet it is welded in place. It was too firm to be just a captive bolt and never gave any indication of backing out like it was threaded in place. I looked in the FSM and only see notations for the nut, nothing about the stud itself.

Oh, I stumbled across the little shock at the passengers end of the engine, referred to as "driveline vibration absorber". Apparently only used for NVH reduction, otherwise, not structural in any way.

I do not know for certain, but the few times I have had the tower brace off, that stud was so rigid, I would bet it is welded in place. It was too firm to be just a captive bolt and never gave any indication of backing out like it was threaded in place. I looked in the FSM and only see notations for the nut, nothing about the stud itself.

Oh, I stumbled across the little shock at the passengers end of the engine, referred to as "driveline vibration absorber". Apparently only used for NVH reduction, otherwise, not structural in any way.

It is indeed very solid. No visual evidence of welding underneath. I'll take pictures tonight. I'll try and drill it out and come up with an innovative way to replace it.

Update. It is pressed in. It looks like 3 tack welds hold it in place from underneath. I removed it last night. I'm going to use regular bolt with the same threads as the original. I'll grind the head down a little and hold it in place with a keeper washer of some sort. It is not torqued too tight, so I may not need to tack it in place. Kroil, heat, and a BFH to finish the job.