Deserving of a good home

R.White

Apart from a few small areas this is a nice example, It deserves of a good home. One family owner cars like this becoming rare.

I would extend the exhaust to be safe.

Vacuum pump could be recommisioned.

Shame about the frost damaged block.

Note the ill fitting hood to radiator on the left side. My car has this same fault. What is causing it?

Any other observations from you guys.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261135873605#v4-42

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Apart from a few small areas this is a nice example, It deserves of a good home. One family owner cars like this becoming rare.

I would extend the exhaust to be safe.

Vacuum pump could be recommisioned.

Shame about the frost damaged block.

Note the ill fitting hood to radiator on the left side. My car has this same fault. What is causing it?

Any other observations from you guys.?

Dodge : Other Special in Dodge | eBay Motors

One of my '31 Dodges has a hood that fits like that because of some frame damage. The guy before me never corrected it.

Thanks John. That confirms my fears. There is no obvious damage to the fender but the bumper has been changed. The rad sits square on the cross member so I imagine that a previous owner carried out superficial repairs and left the damage to the frame. I have yet to find a crease in the frame but perhaps my local bodyshop could sort it.

Ray

I think a hurried paint job and a retrim in vinyl are likely to hold it back. A misguided switch to an electric fuel pump and a highly dangerous exhaust may also put off the casual buyer. If however, a pre war enthusiast with time enough to get things sorted sees it for what it is, this could be a good buy and sell quickly - but at $10,000 it will probably sit around for a while.

As a matter of interest if this one family owner car was a RHD version, it would probably sell for twice that over here!

I wondered if the left hand chassis / frame rail has been bent slightly up at the front on my car? Would this stop the hood from lowering right down?

Ray

It is easier to make up a set of gauges, I will see if I can find a picture on-line to elaborate but for twist you would hang parallel gauges at different point along the frame, easiest if you have it off the ground up in the air. Sight down the gauges to find the twist, you can also place 4 jackstands under the car same points side to side and use the floor which should be flat as a measuring point and compare side to side.

There are many different ways to go about it and it dosent necessarily require any special equipment, just some consideration about what you are trying to achieve. Biggest problem is too overthink it, it really is not brain surgery.

Here is what I was getting at, Patent US3983635 - Auto frame gauge - Google Patents

You could make a set and use as many as you would like, hang them, stand back and sight along them, these are old time, not often seen in shops and if they are they have 30 years of dust on them. We use computerized measuring systems now, chief, shark, genesis ect, nothin in my opinion beats the UMS...Universal measuring system but insurance companies nowadays want a print-out, the have no idea how to read them but instead look for the shiny colors. Red is a no go and green or blue is a big thumbs up.

Idiots!