1923 Buick Phaeton for sale Souix City Iowa

Hudsy Wudsy

Guest Rob McDonald

All a guy's gotta do is empty a vacuum cleaner bag all over an old car and we get all hot about another barn find! This does look like a sweet Buick.

Rob:

I liked your comment about the vacuum cleaner bag. Very limited information to get anyone interested at that price. Running condition?

I have encountered this statement. Sometimes can be translated to its other variants. "Ran when we parked it 50 years ago. Barely ran when we tried it. Can be made to run." Of course I would have to call before I pass judgment. On another thread this past June John Fesser and I tried to get a 1922-45 going for a fellow in Baltimore. We were unsuccessful. Many problems to straighten out. That 1922-45 is now for sale at $9,000. Its description is that it was a "show car"but has sat for over 4 years and needs some carburetor work to get running. I have encountered the problems that can arise from an automobiles 50 year sit. Systems need cleaned, repaired, rebuilt etc.

All this work should be reflective in the price asked. The $15,000 would be more in line for a running, driving, good physical condition

and well cared for example. I know with the 1922-45 that the family did not want to put any more money into bringing it back for sale.

If you are asking top dollar the car should be well presented. It may be that the allure of the "Barn Find"may win out. The ad for the Baltimore 1922 only shows what it looked like 8 years ago, "show car". Not the neglected, modified, partialy dissasembled Buick that we found.

Larry

I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time with this one, guys. I have no idea what's an appropriate price for this Buick. I suppose that I thought that it might be a more desirable car for some of you than it probably is. Back when Jaxed was up and running, I wouldn't have bothered posting any Craigslist cars. Oh well, no harm done, I'm sure.

Guest Rob McDonald

HUDWUD, there's no such thing as wasted time on these Forums! Don't hesitate to post Buick leads, anytime.

We all love reading about neat old cars for sale, especially with picture links. Barn finds are a special treat, because we imagine that someone's going to put a long-forgotten car back into circulation. Larry's reply is thoughtful and experienced, and would be helpful for someone looking to either sell or buy a car that hasn't moved for a long time.

Hudwud:

No need to apologize. I agree with Rob about takeing what you posted as a treat! I have a nice picture file of many of the "Barn Finds" when posted. If it were closer I would try to get more info about it. I love to get some history on any Buicks of that era. But after a long search for the right car I have gotten very skeptical about descriptions. I did buy my 1925-25 based on the owners description and assurances. Others, please learn from my mistake! Paid about $5,000 more than value. Just like to keep others aware and focused.

Thanks for posting:

Larry