Hello, this is my 1950 Ford

Guest mrwoolery

Guest mrwoolery

This is my 1950 Ford Custom. Last year I literally bought it from the old lady next door. She had it for sale for a couple of years, but had never advertised it or did anything to let people know it was for sale. This Ford had been sitting in her garage for the last 15 years virtually undriven. It's all original with the numbers matching flathead V8 in the engine bay, 3 on the tree manual, original tube radio, and the optional "Miracle Air" package. She even has the vintage tags and an old AAA badge!

One day, she approached me and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I told her I couldn't afford it, but was willing to help her find someone to buy it from her (we both knew the value of the car). Instead, she said she wanted it gone then and there, liked that I was a car guy, had never sold or flipped any of my cars, and offered to sell it to me for the miserly sum of $1K under the condition that I take care of/restore the car. I jumped on that offer!

I put some air in the tires and with the help of my Dad and a couple friends, pushed it out from her garage into mine, where I got to tinkering on it. I eventually got her running and on the road again. I christened the car "The Old Lady" in reference to the story around the car.

She needs a lot of TLC though, and I intend to give it to her. Eventually, I want this car to be solid and running reliably with no issues so I can take her on cruise nights and the occasional road trip.

3ODep.jpg

hlJgV.jpg

I'm open to any insights or suggestions you folks my have as well. Thanks for your time. :)

Edited by mrwoolery (see edit history)

Hello and welcome. It looks like a really nice car and a survivor at that. It doesn't look rough at all in your photos.

I'd like to discourage you from lowering it as 4 doors looks better at stock height. It seems that every shoebox you see these days is lowered or has had some other modification done. It's refreshing to see one in an unmolested state as your car. But it is your car and you can do whatever you like.

Please share some more photos of your car such as the interior and engine compartments.

Good luck and enjoy your "new" car.

BTW, you might want to make a post about your car or a link to your thread in the general forum section. For some reason the Ford section gets little action.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

Guest mrwoolery

You make a good point about the lowering. Perhaps I'll leave it as is, since I was on the fence about the lowering anyway.

Here are some more pics of the car:

6YMg2.jpg

The interior is pretty ratty. The original interior lurks under some vintage late 60's cheap seat covers, but both are disintegrating:

7uPSt.jpg

The engine bay:

DOZIQ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Your car would easily win a trophy in the Dearbon class of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America. Cars are only original once and you should honor the request of the Little Old Lady and take care of the car. As the car has been sitting for many years, I would replace the master and wheel cylinders and the brake hoses for safety. I would replace the 2 upper radiator hoses with reproductions for cosmetic reasons and just maintain the rest of the car.