1936 D-2 King Pin Replacement

Guest Smitty168

Guest Smitty168

Need some help here. I'm planning to replace the King Pins on my 1936 D-2 sometime next spring. Too cold in the barn to be sitting on concrete now. I have the rebuild kit but before I tackle this project I'm looking for a good tutorial on the procedure. I'm sure it's no big deal. Last King Pin replacement I did was several years ago on a Model A Ford.

I've checked my Motor's Manual and it's no help (unless I'm not looking in the right section?)

Anyway, I'm sure someone out there in the 'Brain Trust' has done this job and/ or has a good written description of the process.

To the question 'why?'...........The front wheels both show a good 'wiggle' when I lift the car off the ground and wiggle top to bottom. As long as I'm restoring the other stuff, good time to do the Pins and Breaks and etc.

If it matters, this car was assembled in Canada so there are slight differences from a '36 D-2.

Thanks in advance for your help gents.

Smitty

Need some help here. I'm planning to replace the King Pins on my 1936 D-2 sometime next spring. Too cold in the barn to be sitting on concrete now. I have the rebuild kit but before I tackle this project I'm looking for a good tutorial on the procedure. I'm sure it's no big deal. Last King Pin replacement I did was several years ago on a Model A Ford.

I've checked my Motor's Manual and it's no help (unless I'm not looking in the right section?)

Anyway, I'm sure someone out there in the 'Brain Trust' has done this job and/ or has a good written description of the process.

To the question 'why?'...........The front wheels both show a good 'wiggle' when I lift the car off the ground and wiggle top to bottom. As long as I'm restoring the other stuff, good time to do the Pins and Breaks and etc.

If it matters, this car was assembled in Canada so there are slight differences from a '36 D-2.

Thanks in advance for your help gents.

Smitty

With that "wiggle top to bottom" it sounds like worn wheel bearings.

Guest Smitty168

Thought of that, plan to replace them too. Just want to redo everything now instead of waiting for future failures on the road.

Don't have the car here so can't pull wheels. Just as well ... snowing.

Thanks for your reply Keiser.

Smitty

Guest Smitty168

Jim,

Happy to oblige but you'll have to be a bit patient. The car's at the upholster (about an hour away) and I don't think I'll have it back here until March or April. Will a photo work? I can take a picture of the plate's the next time I'm up there. Hope I can remember to bring my camera. I've got a case of CRS.

Regarding the King Pin Turorial; They may not exist. The process is not that complicated they're all pretty much self evident. Might need special tools like reamers which most guys don't have in their tool kits. A good written tutorial might explain all that...along with 'tricks of the trade' suggestions and comments.......at least that's what I was hoping. Since the Motor's Manual hardly mentions the process, I'm guessing this was a minor everyday chore in most mechanic shops of the day. Either all that or the MOPAR King PIns and Spindle assemblies were so well made, there was no need for replacement. Ever.

Best to you up there in the great white north.

Smitty.