Engine Line Up – 1956 Hudson Part III (Packard Engine in a Hudson?)

Guest timsweet

Guest timsweet

Engine Line Up – 1956 Hudson Part III (Packard Engine in a Hudson?)

Engine Line Up

Were Packard engines used in Hudson?

I need to finish this one up so here are the V8 offerings for the 1956 Hudson.

Interesting enough one was called the Packard Eight and the other was the Hornet Special Eight.

The Hornet Special Eight was a V8 with overhead valves. It was a cast iron block that displaced 250 cubic inches. The bore and stroke were 3.50″ x 3.25″ and a compression ratio of 8.0:1 helped produce about 190 hp. This was topped by a Carter WGD two barrel carb (Model 235S).

The Packard Eight, was it the really a Packard engine?

What I do know is that the Hudson engine was a V8 with overhead valves and cast iron block. It sported a bore and stroke of 4″ x 3.50 (which means the bore was half an inch larger than the Special and the stroke was quarter of an inch larger. This upped the compression ratio to 9.5:1 and displacement up to 352 cid. Topped with a Carter carb WGD two barrel (Model 2231SA it produced 220 hp.

But was it a Packard engine?

It may have been. In 1955 Packard powered some of its models with what they called the Clipper Custom or the Packard Line V8 (up until that date any Packard 8 cylinder was an L head). This engine had the same bore and stroke, compression and displacement (352). It had more horse power but that was more likely attributed to the 4 barrel Carter carbs that were used (models 2232S or 2284S). Packard also used Rochester Type 4GC four barrel carbs on some of the models. So I can’t conclude for certain that it was the same engine, but I believe it was. I’ll see if I can find the answer with more research.

Thanks.

Tim

Guest timsweet

Kevin - Thanks for the information!!!

Tim

AMC bought V8 engines and automatic transmissions from Packard. They installed them in Nash and Hudson cars in 55 and 56. Their own AMC V8 was ready for 57 so I think they only used their own engines from 57 on.

Kevin

According to The Standard Catalog of American Motors 1902-1987, the AMC V8 was introduced on March 5 (1956) in a new model called the Hornet Special. It displaced 250 cu. in. The 2 V8 engines were sold side-by-side until October 25, when the 1957 models were introduced. The 1957 cars, all of which were called "Hornets", came only with the 327 cu. in. AMC V8 (the Hudson and Nash 6 cylinder engines were no longer available).

Guest timsweet

Thanks Dave,

I need to pick up that reference. I'm using Standard Catalog of American Cars 1947 - 1975. This ref does show the Packard 8 (displacing 352 cubic inches) and the Hornet Special V-8 (with 250 CID) being used in 1956.

Tim

Guest timsweet

Thanks Dave,

I need to pick up that reference. I'm using Standard Catalog of American Cars 1947 - 1975. This ref does show the Packard 8 (displacing 352 cubic inches) and the Hornet Special V-8 (with 250 CID) being used in 1956.

Tim

Packard had a deal with AMC to supply engines in exchange for sheet metal stampings. The deal did not last long, AMC soon developed their own V8 (the 250 cu in).

The Packard engine used by AMC in big Hudson and Nash cars, was basically the 320 cu in from the Clipper, slightly detuned. The only change I recall off hand, is that it had thicker head gaskets for lower compression and lower HP.

• 3 years later...
Guest Bill Wine

I just purchased the 1956 Hudson Hornet special that was parked since 1993. I saw it listed for sale on this site. It has the OHV V-8. I assume it's the AMC engine and not the Packard V-8. I hope to get it running soon. The worst thing on this car is rusted door bottoms on the passenger side. The rest of the car is fairly solid. Will post photos soon. Here's a link to a story that was done on this car...I stumbled across this after I brought the car to my place. 

http://www.rodauthority.com/news/barn-find-a-neglected-lonely-1956-hudson-hornet-special/