OEM Floor Mat Info

MartyWorld

Good morning.

Did Buick ever make for the first generation Riviera (I have a 64 and a 65), another type of floor mat other

than the rubber mat marketed as "Carpet Savers", "Deluxe Handy Mats", or "Carpet Covers"?

The "Silver Arrow" show car uses a floor mat similar to the rubber portion sewn into the carpet but much

larger with chrome or stainless trim.

My goal is to find a nicer floor mat than the rubber mats I now have.

Thanks,

Marty

post-31142-143139264442_thumb.jpg

Hi Marty,

Yes, Buick marketed hard rubber mats very much like the Silver Arrow mats as an accessory. The mats have "barbs" which push into the carpeting to hold them in place. They were available in various colors just like the Carpet Savers and Handymats. The Olds Starfire had similar hard rubber mats which were permanently sewed into the factory carpeting as standard equipment. Most folks I know who have obtained and installed the accessory Buick mats have removed them claiming they are slippery, especially if the weather is wet, and generally uncomfortable. Personally I think the Carpet Savers and Handy mats look and perform much better than the hard rubber mats.

Tom Mooney

They were called carpet inserts. Hard plastic with chrome inserts...I like them and have a set for my car.

Good morning.

Did Buick ever make for the first generation Riviera (I have a 64 and a 65), another type of floor mat other

than the rubber mat marketed as "Carpet Savers", "Deluxe Handy Mats", or "Carpet Covers"?

The "Silver Arrow" show car uses a floor mat similar to the rubber portion sewn into the carpet but much

larger with chrome or stainless trim.

My goal is to find a nicer floor mat than the rubber mats I now have.

Thanks,

Marty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]163913[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...
Guest GG Bailey

Hi Marty. If you're looking for high quality carpeted mats, I work for a company called GG Bailey that specifically makes custom-designed, tailored, aftermarket floor mats. You can choose carpet, edging, and heelpad colors to match your antique interior. Doesn't look like we currently have the pattern to fit the first generation Riviera, but our customer service crew could probably track down what you need -- or else get you a pattern making kit. Lots more info on our website: http://ggbailey.com. Hope that helps!

- Drew