1924-25 DISTRIBUTOR

dibarlaw

My question is about the compatability of the Delco starter/generator distributor from a big series 1924 to standard series 1925. I bought a spare distributor at auction on saturday. The case from the auction unit is a cast iron and no noticable side play on the shaft. The case in my 25-25 is die cast but not cracked or deformed yet the shaft can be moved over .036. and the whole unit can be rocked at least the same.

About 70 degrees yesterday in south centeral Pa. We took "Beuhla" to church and a few miles drive afterward. Did not seem to be running right. Thought to run out some more fuel before the winter drain down. I checked and should still have about 2 gallons. So I checked the points and were showing burning. I stoned them and tried to readjust. But the distributor shaft is very worn. When running I can press against the side of the unit with slight presure and just about stop the engine. So on the winter list is to rebush the shaft. Then the wife and I drove over to see another Buick Club member who has a yet to be restored 1924-45 touring car and show what I have done to my 25. Drove back home and parked in back of my house. Cleaned up the garage then went to drive the 25 around the block. Started right up but only made it about 1/2 way around the block when it died!

Got out the gas can and added more fuel. After about 6 tries she finally started but ran very rough. It did make it back into the garage under it's own power. The winter list gets longer.

Larry<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Larry,My parts list doesn`t go back to 1924 6 cyl.models, but 1925 Std and 1925 Master seems to be the same distributor.When my 1925 die cast dist.house got broken I used a 1924 4 cyl.cast iron dist house insted,just changed the inside parts.(but of course it doesn`t help you with a bad shaft)

Leif in Sweden.