Koby Vinoker and the storm

john2dameron

I just heard from Koby Vinoker on Long Island. He and his family are OKAY. They are without power. Their transformer exploded and is burning but the fire department is letting it burn because attempting to put it out runs the risk of someone getting electrocuted. His oldest sister lives in Hoboken NJ and she has to be evacuated. Koby says the storm is supposed to worse there tonight. I am sure he would appreciate your prayers for him and his family.

Glad to hear you were able to get in touch with him.

Please keep the son (Andy) of our friend and fellow judge, Rodger Woodrum, in your thoughts and prayers. Andy lives in New York City. I have texted Rodger to check on Andy but have not heard back yet. Rodger is the friend that stays with us at AACA Meets.

If the transormers for the city,,,and the subway are all underground [vaults] and are flooded,,,

they will want them to be dry before puting the voltage to them,,,,Slow process,,,and a limited crew,,,

They cannot use national guard as hi-voltage power engineers,,,Living in a hi-rise I think to be a problem,,,

Does Dominoes deliver to the 44 floor??,,

As ever,,,Ben

Heard from Koby again last night. The power company told them to expect the power to be out for at least a week. Said there are lots of trees down; some in every block. The apartment house where his oldest sister lives in Hoboken caught on fire Monday night and the firemen could not get to it because of the flooding. Said she had to spend the night in the hallway. Both sisters are isolated but everyone is still OK. I'll provide updates as I hear from him.

Glad to hear the young'un is alright. Folks in the NYC Metro area see a lot of crazy things but I'd almost promise they've never seen anything like this. 9/11 was a mess but not as widespread as what the storm did.

That area in Brooklyn borough where 50 houses burned because FD couldn't get thru the flooded roads was heartbreaking.

No more than we had here (half-inch of soaking rain, 20-30 mph winds) they closed the schools. I have friends in NYC/NJ who got beat all to pieces by this thing, and they closed the schools here over what amounted to a strong breeze. Rain and moderate winds are nothing unusual here in November, but they closed the schools. SMH.