Advice

Budtee

I have been thinking of buying a TC for some time. I presently have an 85 Chrysler Town & Country convertible with the 2.2 turbo and think it is a nearly bullet-proof engine. I don't think that I want the 16 v engine but would be interested in opinions about the 2.2 vs the 3.0 as some of those I see for sale are 1990's. I know the 2.2 is not an interference engine and I think the 3.0 is. That would seem to be another advantage of the 2.2.

There has been an 89 for sale on Ebay with the 2.2 8v and a 5 speed. I thought that the 2.2 only came with the automatic but I did read about a conversion made by someone. Also, there is no hard top with it and I would definitely want one.

I would appreciate any opinions about the engines and any other advise as well. If anyone knows of something good for sale near Western PA, I would appreciate that info as well.

Budtee

I like the 2.2.engine. I assume you already know about the head gasket needing replacement every 60,000 miles with the car you have. I would get a mechanic familiar with the cars (yours?) check the 5 speed conversion to see if it is Mickey Mouse or done properly and check the engine for problems. Being in Pa., check the underneath for rust. Hardtops should not be hard to come by. It is the only thing not damaged on mine after a 2 1/2" hail storm.

BTW My siding on the house is just now being replaced after the hail storm in April! Second most expensive hail storm for insurance companies in history. The most expensive was about 10 years ago 12 miles away.

Edited by Bill Reichert (see edit history)

Not to interupt, but I have an 89 with the 16 valve and 5 speed that will get you home in a few days of hard driving.

It is in Oregon. Heck, If you want to cover my expenses I will drive it over there for you .

My bottom dollar is $5000, and that includes the hard top as well as a ceiling lift.

94000 miles and near perfect condition. Includers manuals and dealer aids, umbrella and tool kit. Its all there.

Drop me an email for more pics.

Jack

capyjack@comcast.net

Thanks for the advice. I did replace my head gasket at about 65,000 miles. Only problem I have had with mine in 5 years was the hall effect pickup, a inner tie rod end and some oil leaks. I think I prefer to stay with an automatic. Is my assumption that the 89 with a 2.2 8v could not have come from the factory with a 5 speed correct?

I like the 2.2.engine. I assume you already know about the head gasket needing replacement every 60,000 miles with the car you have. I would get a mechanic familiar with the cars (yours?) check the 5 speed conversion to see if it is Mickey Mouse or done properly and check the engine for problems. Being in Pa., check the underneath for rust. Hardtops should not be hard to come by. It is the only thing not damaged on mine after a 2 1/2" hail storm.

BTW My siding on the house is just now being replaced after the hail storm in April! Second most expensive hail storm for insurance companies in history. The most expensive was about 10 years ago 12 miles away.

Guest 501 Club

That would be correct. The 8v and 3.0 only came with an automatic. The car on Ebay appears to be a conversion as the boot for the shifter is rubber. The 16v boots were made out of leather.

Your car is the right color for me but I am a little hesitant about the 16v engine and I am not sure that I want a 5 speed. If it were close to me, I would probably look at it. If I change my mind as my search continues, I will keep it in mind. It seems familiar. Did you advertise on Ebay this Summer?

Not to interupt, but I have an 89 with the 16 valve and 5 speed that will get you home in a few days of hard driving.

It is in Oregon. Heck, If you want to cover my expenses I will drive it over there for you .

My bottom dollar is $5000, and that includes the hard top as well as a ceiling lift.

94000 miles and near perfect condition. Includers manuals and dealer aids, umbrella and tool kit. Its all there.

Drop me an email for more pics.

Jack

capyjack@comcast.net

I did put it on Ebay this summer. I am surprised that no one wants it. It is a real nice car. I would not sell it for any other reason than I need a bigger car.

Anybody have a nice C-body convert that may want to swap?

I thought that both of the 4 cyls were 2.2. But I am no expert.

Guest Jim_McNally
I did put it on Ebay this summer. I am surprised that no one wants it. It is a real nice car. I would not sell it for any other reason than I need a bigger car.

Anybody have a nice C-body convert that may want to swap?

I thought that both of the 4 cyls were 2.2. But I am no expert.

Yes, both the 8V and the 16V are 2.2liter - the 3.0 was the 6 cyl in model years 90 and 91 only. You could still order the 16V after 1989, but the 8V 2.2 was in 89 only.

Jim

Guest My TC Toy

Personally I prefer the 3.0L, although this engine had one fault in the valve guides. The early models, the ones used in the TC, allowed the guides to drop. Normally you could see a puff of smoke from the tailipipe as you came to a stop if a guide was out of place. I am not suggesting the guide fell out of the head, but it dropped in the mount. The only fix is to remove the heads and install new guides, only where they have shifted, and these are then retained in place.

I had four of my guides replaced this spring. I do not think the problem would cause any severe damage to the engine but I did not like the puff of smoke.

all the early 3.0L had the same problem. Subsequently the problem was corrected at the factory.

Also I thought the 3.0L was NOT an interference engine.

Lots of luck.

Bob