63 Riviera

Guest cwheelin

Guest cwheelin

I just picked up a 63 Riviera and before I go out buying parts for it I just wanted to know how much work is involved and parts would it take to turn a non ac car (which I have) into one with ac? Thanks for any input

I just picked up a 63 Riviera and before I go out buying parts for it I just wanted to know how much work is involved and parts would it take to turn a non ac car (which I have) into one with ac? Thanks for any input

With factory parts I think it would be uber expensive and almost an impossible job...at least not one I would want to undertake...I used Vintage Air products ...There are many aftermarket A/C companies that cater to the hot rod industry. I had EVERY nut and bolt apart under the dash for a restoration and its a very complex system with lots of parts spread all over the place. I imagine it could be done ...and I am sure there is someone here thats done it , but I cheated and went with 2012 technology.

Guest cwheelin
With factory parts I think it would be uber expensive and almost an impossible job...at least not one I would want to undertake...I used Vintage Air products ...There are many aftermarket A/C companies that cater to the hot rod industry. I had EVERY nut and bolt apart under the dash for a restoration and its a very complex system with lots of parts spread all over the place. I imagine it could be done ...and I am sure there is someone here thats done it , but I cheated and went with 2012 technology.

Yeah you are probably right, I just didnt think anything was available because the center console is in the way??

A guy here in the Kansas City area is converting a non A/C 1963 to A/C. He found the dash pieces from a parts car (two ball vents on the ends of the dash, and the vent under the radio) and is going to use them with a Vintage Air system. Except for the controls and the a/c parts under the hood, it will look basically stock.

Tony also told me that they have a specific unit for turning a non a/c '63 Riviera into an a/c car. What I don't know if Old Air is aware of the differences between a '63 and the '64/'65.

Something to think about.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest cwheelin
A guy here in the Kansas City area is converting a non A/C 1963 to A/C. He found the dash pieces from a parts car (two ball vents on the ends of the dash, and the vent under the radio) and is going to use them with a Vintage Air system. Except for the controls and the a/c parts under the hood, it will look basically stock.

Something to think about.

Ed

Rivnut, that is exactly what I was thinking as the dash pieces are fairly easy to come by...Please keep me updated on how that worked out for that guy and what it took....Thanks

Just be careful when you're looking for dash parts. I've found a couple of the passenger sides that look good on the car but when you get them out, the housing is cracked on the hinge side.

With that in mind, has anyone come up with a good fix for those units that are cracked on the hinge side?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I have seen a couple of first gen Riviera's that have had the Vintage Air systems installed. What most people do on the 64 and 65's is remove the factory heat and air controls from the console and make a block off plate for one area and adapt the Vintage Air A/C controls to the other area. Since the Vintage Air controls are all electrically controlled from a small control panel, you could adapt those controls to the storage compartment in the console and leave all of the factory control's in place. Something to think about once you have the dash pieces you need. V/A does not make a specific kit for your Riv but a generic hot rod kit should work just fine.

I just got off the phone w/ Tony at Old Air Products. He told me that if you install one of their units, you can also send in your original controls and they will do a conversion to your control that will enable it to control their aftermarket a/c system. Except for the compressor and the fittings at the firewall, you won't be able to see any differences in your a/c system. Sounds impressive to me. These aftermarket units also let you do away with the pesky heater core. Take it out once and forget it.

Ed.