Need help IDing a Dodge truck flat 6 engine...

Guest Barsteel

Guest Barsteel

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello!

This is my first post. I've been into older and muscle cars since i remember, and now finally own several, including a 64 Ford Galaxie and 2 Chevy trucks, a '53 1/2 ton and a '57 1/2 ton.

I recently found a '46 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup that I'm interested in adding to the collection. It's originally from South Dakota, and it's about as rust-free as can be expected for a truck that's over 60 years old, and it appears to be all original. It's also running and registered, so will be able to test drive it to determine the condition of the brakes, etc.

The owner was honest enough to tell me that there's a crack in the block. Although it's been sealed with block sealer and held for 2 years, I'd be looking to eventually replace the engine with another Dodge flat 6 if I bought the truck.

On the bright side, the truck comes with another engine that turns and is 100% complete. The owner told me that it's out of another '46 truck, which is nice because I'd like to use an engine that's from 1946 or later truck. The numbers off the replacement are T112*121885.

I've searched the net for over an hour, but have not been able to identify this engine's date of manufacture, although from what I can tell, the T112 indicates that the engine is a 218 ci. Dodge truck engine.

Any way to confirm the year this engine was made?

Thanks...

I don't follow Dodge trucks, so I don't know how helpful this'll be...

FWIW, my 50 Motor (covers 1936-49, mostly over-the-road gas) shows both the T112 and T114 as L-(flat) head 6s, 31/4x43/8=218 cid.

Per that manual the T112 was in the 1941-47 WC and the T114 was in the 41-47 WD15...

That manual also shows earlier 218s of the same b/s and of 33/8x41/16 b/s in other models with engine designations T30, T38, T40, etc.

I'd guess this belongs on the Dodge forum here and/or on one of the Dodge truck sites for more complete information. Serial # should tie down prod date.