HPOF Questions - Discussion

Steve_Mack_CT

Been following the HPOF thread involving a restored car in the Hershey section with some interest but I wanted to post this separately so as to not "hijack" the OP's thread and question.

Our 1989 560 SL is not quite an AACA antique yet, however as I consider some cosmetic improvements I wonder if I should go about it wiht an eye towards HPOF certification. On one hand, I believe there are a good number of these cars out there in excellent original condition, and I get the thought process that it may mean less on a newer vehicle. On the other, it may encourage folks to consider preservation rather than restoration for it down the road, and it could be fun to pursue.

Having gone over the car carefully in recent months I am comfortable that the interior, and all major mechanical components are original. Simillarly I am 99% sure the paintwork is original, as it is totally even in terms of any signs of wear, and is all the factory single stage applicaiton (in '89 clear coat used for some colors but not red) and all VIN tags MB puts on major body panels are present and match. So here are my questions:

The top appears original to my eye, in that I know it is the correct material, and wear is consistent with occasional use. How does one verify this?

While rechroming constitutes restoration, what about the removal and professional polishing of stainless steel trim parts?

If only paintwork is repainting alloy wheels is that inappropriate?

What about replacement carpet - perhaps select pieces only if better used were sourced?

That's about it, aside from wear items such as tires, etc.

Any advice for the later model vehicles like this one?

Thanks

Steve,

Thank you for wanting to preserve your 560 SL as an HPOF vehicle. If the top is of the correct material and the appearance of the top is correct, you belive it is original and the judges agree, there would be no deduction. Polishing of the stainless trim is cleaning, so again no deduction. Repainting the wheels should be disclosed and would be considered for a deduction while replacing them with original wheels that have not been repainted would not be. If you replace the carpet with a better carpet set from another 560 SL there should be no deduction as long as it matches. If a newly manufactured carpet set is used, it should be a deduction. Replacement of belts, hoses, tires and other wearing rubber parts are maintenance and would not be a deduction, however, they should appear as original. The same goes for hose clamps, radial tires on a car not originally delivered with radials and other more modern updates, each would be deducted for. Your car seems to be a very good candidate for HPOF certification in 2014.

Thanks Dave. Now I am kicking myself for letting a set of OEM wheels in boxes go from CL a couple mos ago thinking, "these are around, I just need a couple spares to refinish, swap tires around and refinish another pair" If they come up again I am going to grab them. I just had not been in the HPOF mindset for this car at that time.