1965 riviera trunk compartment light and switch

Guest RyanC

Hey fellas, any of you guys out there have a picture of what a 65 riviera trunk light assembly looks like as well as the switch that makes it work? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

Oh... And, you know what else would rule? Pointers for fishing that damned wire through the deck lid... Wow..<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

I've got one pulled from a '63. If you think they're the same, I'll post a picture of it. The switch is in the bulb housing. It's similar to the mercury swtich on your thermostat. When you open the trunk, it "tips" and something inside slides and makes contact. The one from the '63 was pulled for someone who never got back to me. If you need one, let me know.

Ed

Ryan,

Like Ed said, the switch is in the base of the light socket. Take the bulb out. Turn the light socket upside down.

My switch was dead. It still had the mercury in it, but a volt-ohm meter proved that it didn't turn on when in any direction. Since this is poisonous MERCURY, and having that dangerous material flying at 70 MPH on the highway isn't all that smart, I changed over to a mechanical switch. After some googling around, found out that several states have a program available where you can obtain new mechanical switches at Oil Lube places. Since my state didn't participate, I contacted a place in the state where my car came from and they sent me a new switch in the mail free of charge.

If your wire is still in place, tie a string to it before pulling it out. If not, you should be able to use the open holes to guide a new wire.