removal of wooden steering wheel and bakelite horn button

Guest RonDawg

Guest RonDawg

It has been along time since my last post. Can someone please give me suggestions on how to remove the bakelight horn botton on a '26 stude big six? The steering box is out of the bus. I can see there is a small threaded screw on the side. When I remove that, the horn button does spin around. I would like to remove the button, not break it accidentally. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Guest stude8
Is there not a clamp at the steering box end. Normally these are attached to a tube which goes all the way down the column with a clamp at the bottom. the button will come out along with the stator tube

The Bifda description is correct, here are a few photos of how the center tube assy is removed. If it is a closed body model you may have to remove the steering column clamp under dash board and lower column as in photo to get adequate ceiling clearance to pull the tube and horn button assy all the way out. Once out the bakelite cap ring is disasssembled by removing the 3 screws from the bottom. This car is a 1928 Commander GB Big Six Victoria, too low a roof to pull the steering tubes without dropping the column between the front seats.

Stude8

Stude8post-31139-143139207412_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139207409_thumb.jpg

Guest RonDawg

Thank you Bifda and stude8 for your immediate response, I do appreciate the help. Since your reply, I have been working on removing the horn button with no luck. I have preiously removed the entire steering columm. I will continue to work at removing the horn button. I will let you know when I have it out. Thanks again. I look forward to talking with you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RonDawg

Again thank you for the assistance in removing the horn button. I was able to do so without breaking anything. I used 400 grit sandpaper on the wooden steering wheel to clean the old varnish off the wheel without removing any worn handmarks that were made over the years. I will apply a light stain before I re-glue the 4 plywood spindles attached to the wheel, the round outer wheel is solid. Hopefully will be able to find a glue that will harden to clear and not yellow, then a light coat of varnish over the steering wheel.