70 Skylark stalling...

My 70 Skylark is dieing whenever I come to a stop or go around a corner. I have to put it in neutral and give it gas whenever I come to a stop. Once I'm stopped it will idle OK. It also runs great when I romp on it. I have a Holley carb and Pertronix Ignitor on a 455. <P>Don't know if this is related to the problem, but the tranny was just rebuilt. Would a vacuum leak or faulty modulator cause the stalling? My shift points are too high. I tried adjusting them via the modulator and it made no difference. I'm not too worried about the tranny problem right now, but I'd like to fix the stalling.<BR>Thanks!!<BR>baking<BR> grin.gif" border="0

Hi,<BR> yes if you have some kind of vacuum leak you will have problems.<BR> Also if you have a big cam or in general dop have the idle set too low?<BR> If this has a dash pot is it working? ( a dash pot delays the throttle from closing to quickly to avoid stalling).<BR> Is your ignition timing set correctly?<BR> Also check as set the idle MIXTURE to spec.<BR>If you have a big(other than stock cam) you will have to play with settings to get it right.<BR> Also how about your float level too high and you might br flooding out at stops.

I've had this same problem with my Rochester 2bbl.. No More! I made a corner, engine stalled and my starter went all in one shibang. There's nothing like getting honked, cussed and givin the hand for 2hrs waiting for help.<P>Check your float! Specually if your able to 'bring it back some' with pedal action. Shove the float in a bowl of warm water, if you don't see bubbles and it floats keep it, otherwise replace. Check and recheck the drop/level specs. Check filters too. If it still don't work, check the pump..<P>Whatever ya do, don't end up like I did that friday afternoon.. mad.gif" border="0 <P>Scott