I just bought it! Help!

What it is. 1970 Buick GSX clone. I have very little info on the specs so far, but here goes;<BR>455, Poston manifold, Q-jet, headers, 3 in exhaust, 3.23 no posi, TH 400 no shift kit or converter work, GM HEI. Drum brakes not powered (not enough vacuum?) Has a factory GS hood. Still investigating. <P>How it drives;<BR>Choke does not work - starts hard. The oil pressure is 80 PSI on cold idle, 20 PSI hot. Runs about 200 degrees and it is still kind of cold here in Fenton. I am a little worried about the temp. I has an aggressive cam, does not work well with the gear, mash it off the line and it takes about 40 feet before it starts to spin the tire. Good clean exhaust. Drives nice and straight. Has drag shocks in the front. Was raced, had a 4:11 gear. <P>Crimes against Buick?s;<BR>Has a real GSX dash ? then someone cut out the radio area to put in a DIN radio.<P>It is fun to drive now and looks great. Will need lots of advice on what to do next. <P>I plan on joining GSCA as soon as my wife lets me have the checkbook again (how do you think I got the Buick!)<P>Any comments or advice will be appreciated.<BR>Doug Gorton <BR>Linden MI<BR>sailbrd@tm.net

It doesn't take as much vacuum to power Drum brakes do to their self-energizing nature. <BR>A slightly higher stall torque converter would help you get off the line faster, but if the current setup helps you launch easier it may be the way to go. Higher stall converters hurt mileage and add heat to the transmission.

Change the cam!<BR> get a good Rv type or even stock GS cam. That engine will have enough torque to burn the tire off the rim with a good low end cam. With my stock '69 430 I get a rock steady idle and I can put down as much rubber as I want to pay for (with a 3.0 something rear!!). Plus it is alot of fun on the road just ease into gas and you feel it pull.<BR> I have been where you are had a huge cam in my 66 Pontiac with high gears the sound at idle is neat but for get low end take off.<BR> I think unless you are going to race ditch the big cam,your better off with out it, on the other hand if you race change back to 4:11's<BR> AT LEAST YOU KNOW THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!<BR> One more thing remember that a stock 70 GS 455 had a nice idle and had 510 ft-lbs Torque at relatively low RPM!!!!!<BR> Have fun!!<BR> grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Scott W. Taylor ]

Doug,I am just up the road from you on Reid rd. Go west from Linden rd. a half mile and look for the Buick sign on my garage on the south side of the road. I play with this kind of thing a lot, and can probably help you. Did you buy the car from Barcome? smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doug....I hear ya and I agree with Scott...I presently am using the same set up as you except for the wildcam...I use Polston's gs-116 and love it...I can burn rubber all day and as well feel the torque band just cruising...I dont call my car sleeper for nothing...most think I have a small block in it until i step on it...you would like the gs cam better...you just wont sound as good...hehehe....have fun