St Regis 1955 Spark Plug Wires

grubin

You might head on over to www.hothemiheads.com , which is the website for Hot Heads Research who specializes in early-version Chrysler Hemi Engine parts and such. On their "new products" list, they have a read-made set with upgraded specs to include the low-resistance "spiral-wound" conductor and such . . . in black. Kind of pricey at $99.00 for the set, but it's ready to go as is and has the "good stuff" guts. I had some concerns of how the plug boots might interact with the valve cover channels, but there is a picture of a DeSoto engine with their 4bbl intake and an aftermarket Carter AFB carb which has the channels in place, so I suspect things might work fine. You might inquire about that issue, though, to ensure compatibility with how your valve covers are configured.

Back before these engines became popular, Hot Heads was one of the first vendors to get involved with them. They've been around for a good while. There might be some other sources, but I'd look at their website first . . . for at least reference.

The "spiral wound" conductor in their plug wires is very possibly similar to the old Sorensen Mono-Mag wires from the later 1960s and the later Borg-Warner Kool-Wire II wiresets of more recent times. Rather than 1000 ohms/foot resistance, they have more like 100 ohms/foot resistance. More "fire" to the plugs as a result, plus an easier time of the other ignition components as they don't need to work quite as hard to produce enough spark to fire the plugs. Plus, unlike the old carbon-core wires, the innards don't degrade with time and heat exposure. I've used this type of wire on all of my vehicles since the middle 1970s with great results and longevity. Price wise, one expensive item on wiresets is the type of spark plug boots needed for each individual engine. Similarly, a wireset for a late model Chrysler 3.5L V-6 has spark plugs recessed into the valve cover and is a more expensive set of wires as a result.

Enjoy!

NTX5467