1937 Buick Century 60 series

Guest Ztnark

I recently took my '37 Century out of storage where it sat for the past 26 years. After several hours and additional money I was able to get it running again. I put new plug wires on it and plugs. Checked the points and cleaned the distributor cap. It starts and idles fine, except for and occasional pop thru the exhaust. However during down hill deceleration it pops thru the exhaust constantly. I did have the head redone 26 years ago but I am wondering if it might be a valve issue again. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Did you change the gas? If not fill up with the highest octane you can find and pour in 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil for every 10 gallons. It always works for me. It may be just a sticky valve.

As an added note throw in some dry gas too. You may have some condensation.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Why Grant, I"m suprised at you.

That's an old mechanic's trick, and I did not think you were that old.

Must have heard it from one of your older mates. Right?

Throw a towel over the grill, and get her real hot, wind her up (as much as you dare) and dribble ice water down the carb (just short of a stumble).

You will be amazed at the ammount of crap that will blow out the back end. Don't set anything of value behind the car.......

We yanks call it carbon cracking.

Mike in Colorado

Wow now thats one on me but you know what I think I will give it a try Thanks

Why Grant, I"m suprised at you.

That's an old mechanic's trick, and I did not think you were that old.

Must have heard it from one of your older mates. Right?

Throw a towel over the grill, and get her real hot, wind her up (as much as you dare) and dribble ice water down the carb (just short of a stumble).

You will be amazed at the ammount of crap that will blow out the back end. Don't set anything of value behind the car.......

We yanks call it carbon cracking.

Mike in Colorado