Help on MARMON identification

JRA

Hi All,

I am struggling to identify a Marmon, pictures below. Some info about it, it was supposed to be 1929 model 78, but I have some doubts. It has horizontal hood louvers and cowl vent. Its engine number is N7657, and it is an 8-cyl Phaeton. According the Standard Catalog of American Cars, there were no phaetons for this model and year. I measured the wheelbase (center of hubcap to center of hubcap - not sure if this is the right way for this manufacturer) and I got approximately 118.5 inches. Marmon 78 is supposed to be 120".</SPAN>

Suggestions?</SPAN>

Thanks in advance,</SPAN>

JRA

</SPAN>

post-76672-143139176133_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143139176143_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143139176153_thumb.jpg

Guest GreenSixteen

From initial appearances, it looks like you have a 1929 Marmon 78. 1928 78's had vertical hood louvers, but the 1929 (and late 1928's) model had horizontal, as does yours. Your engine number is also correct for a 1929 Model 78 power plant. The Marmon Club has in its registry one known Model 78 Phaeton, which we last heard of in 2000, when it was believed o be "95% restored." As this car was also in Brazil, it is probably the one you have, although the club has a record of a different engine number (N7625). You are correct that Marmon did not make a phaeton body for this model, but it did sell chassis to custom body builders, and Model 78 town cars and sports versions existed, although not finished at the Marmon plant in those configurations. I cannot explain the apparently shorter wheelbase. It is possible that you have a 1930 Model 8-69, which had a 119" wheelbase, with a 1929 engine. Do you have the VIN number? That would help.

Hi GreenSixteen

I am out of town this week, but I will get more pictures and data next week. The body seems to be factory make, I would be surprised if it is custom build. Additional pictures below.

Is the wheelbase for Marmon's measured in a different way? I got the info that some manufacturers used different ways of measuring wheelbase, so these numbers can be very confusing. I took the measurement from center front hubcap to center rear hubcap, straight line, is this the right way for this manufacturer?

Thanks,

JRA

post-76672-143139179797_thumb.jpg

post-76672-143139179803_thumb.jpg

Did Marmon not produce the "Touring Speedster," basically a six-passenger phaeton, in both 68 and 78 models for 1929? The January, 1929 MoToR lists both as available and to be exhibited at the year's auto shows. The Red Book (Nat'l. Used Car Market Report, 77th Edition, 1933) also lists a 6-P phaeton in both 68 and 78 models, and the car in question has the new-for-'29 instrument panel with clock and horizontal hood louvers.

wp3188d.jpg

Model 78 brochure image of the Six-Passenger Speedster. (That doesn't mean the 78

was actually produced, just catalogued).

Just curious,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Thanks a lot TG. Good reference.

I was browsing this model on the internet, and I found a 1929 Marmon, that belongs to Scott Deno in State College, PA. The picture below show a car exactly like my case, and very similar to the brochure. Would it be a model 78? See the picture at the link below. How can we differenciate a model 78 from a 68?

Joyrides | Car of the Day

Thanks,

JRA

JRA,

Thanks for the image of the Deno Marmon. I called him and sent a link to this thread, so maybe he can provide more info as to your car's ID. Bear in mind that my few references don't prove the Model 78 Touring Speedster's production, just that they were listed as produced. The vast amount of research done by Marmon Club experts may well negate those references, and that's fine, but I'm sure Mr. Deno will be able to shed more light on the subject. He told me his is the 60-Series car, and it would be great if we could get wheelbase dimensions from his car.

TG

Guest ScottDeno

Hello, I am the before mentioned Scott Deno. As stated, I have the sister car which is a model68/69. My car is identical in every way except for the hood length (model 78/79 is slightly longer)and the engine is entirely different. Yes, the engine is the key. From the engine picture this IS clearly a model 78/79 model. This should be a fantastic car to drive as my car is a joy to drive, but could use a little more HP. The 78/79 motor is larger. If you repaint, consider the paint colors on my speedster as I think it make such a car stunning. A mild yellow with brown fenders with redish/brown pinstripping.

And thanks to Tom Gibson for giving me the heads up on this thread and the need for identifiation.

PS Photo of my car is attached.

post-50255-143139187775_thumb.jpg

Scott Deno

State College, PA

nsd1@psu,edu

Hi All,

I am struggling to identify a Marmon, pictures below. Some info about it, it was supposed to be 1929 model 78, but I have some doubts. It has horizontal hood louvers and cowl vent. Its engine number is N7657, and it is an 8-cyl Phaeton. According the Standard Catalog of American Cars, there were no phaetons for this model and year. I measured the wheelbase (center of hubcap to center of hubcap - not sure if this is the right way for this manufacturer) and I got approximately 118.5 inches. Marmon 78 is supposed to be 120".</SPAN>

Suggestions?</SPAN>

Thanks in advance,</SPAN>

JRA

</SPAN>

Edited by ScottDeno
added picture (see edit history)

Thanks a lot Scott. According to the engine number, it is a 1929 car, so based on the messages above, I belive it is a model 78 Speedster. I was looking for a Touring or Phaeton, but now I realize Marmon used the Speedster body for their 4 dr open car in this year. Are real differences in theses denominations? Touring, Phaeton or Speedster? I believe in 1930 there is a phaeton body.

JRA