1919 Dodge Brothers production question??

Guest brian j

Hi. I was dong a little research on my 1919 DB, and am trying to figure out as close as i can the "build date". Looking at the production figures on the DB club website it says my car serial #3653XX was built between July 3rd(360000), and August 7th(370000) of 1919. I'm trying to narrow it down to the day, but need to know if the DB plant ran 7 days a week, which was common back then, or a 5/6 day week. For example; if they ran 7 days, that would be a 285.7 car per day average for the 35 days between the 360000th car, and the 370000th car. That would put mine built on July 22 of 1919 (within a day if production was steady). That's another question i have........how steady was production?? This seems rather nit picky, but i have a reason to want to "nail this down"a little better. :confused:

I am uncertain Ray so I would rather not guess but thanks for the kindness, I would like to know the answer though myself if there is one to be had.

I guess I can say that I am fairly sure that they shut down for Christmas and did not re-open until after new years, I seem to remember reading that and this was a tradition carried on during the early years prior to the death of the two brothers but if I am correct than I do not know if this tradition was carried over during the Haynes years.

Ray,

The photo posted nicely as an attachment at the bottom of your typed info. It comes through at 31% on my screen so I get to do a lot of zooming in if I like! Too bad the wheel and gas filler are on the wrong side of the car though!

You can also use the post-67404-143139180807_thumb.jpg icon in the button bar above the "Reply" construction window to "Insert" an image at the location of the cursor instead of as an attachment at the bottom of the post info. That way it becomes part of the information flow you are writing.

You just have to try some of these icon things (like you are doing) to find out what they can do. The "New Forum" has a lot of nifty things you can do with the posts to make things more understandable. I like it!

Sorry for jumping the thread Brian!

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Thanks Stu, I will have to study hard to fathom it out - it's not at simple as before; unlike me!

Not so stupid was my decision to have the above gas guzzler (12/14 mpg) converted to LPG which is half the price of regular petrol; now at £6.26 a gallon! (over $9)

Brian, please forgive the diversion - I hope you can narrow down the date of manufacture but for some reason it is quite hard to find out details of the early days.

Ray.

That's OK. The reason i am looking into this is............i know some of you have seen pics of this 1919 "parade jalopy". And i have this "where's Waldo?" type of brain that my subconcious nags my concious about small details.What was bothering me was the olive green paint that remained on the car. The olive green paint was painted over at one time with a cheap stove black paint that has mostly flaked off revealing the old paint underneath. the olive green had a crackled appearance that says to me it had been on there a long time. Underneath the olive paint is the original DB blue paint. What struck me as odd was the olive paint was on the cowl, and aprons, and there is evidence it may have been on the top above the beltline also. However, i see no evidence of it on the fenders. So as i do more research, and run the numbers, i'm realizing it was produced within a couple of weeks of the famed Transcontinental Convoy of 1919 in which a young Dwight D. Eisenhower was posted as an observer. So, to make a long story short, i hunted down a miltary vehicle expert that specializes in WWI vehicles, and of the 11 cars involved in the convoy, none of them were a coupe. However, we had a long conversation about the car, and it was determined that it MAY have been a military vehicle during that period. More research is needed. I'm just trying to dig up the history on this car, as it's not the "usual" DB. Regards