Vacuum fuel tank-success at last

vergil

When I bought my '16 over five years ago, it came equipped with an electric fuel pump. I just couldn't get that vacuum tank to pump. Long story short- today I got ambitious and installed a new fuel line as straight as could be and voila! I love that sound. Now all I have to do is repack the water pump and I'll be back on the road again. Thanks to all who have offered advice on this over the last few years.

Hi Jason,

Actually, it took me a long time to figure it out. I am not as mechanically inclined as most of the Dodge Brothers, but I have learned a lot from Rodger and the forum experts. I had rebuilt the vacuum tank, then the carburetor, checked and rechecked the timing, cleaned the plugs, cleaned out the gas tank,but none of that helped. I took a good look under the car and noticed that the fuel line went through a series of bends from the gas tank before connecting to the electric pump. Somewhere here on the forum I remebered reading something about a straight fuel line. Turns out that was the problem. Never really thought much about it as the car ran fine with the electric pump. Can't figure out why anyone would do that.

Are you sure it wasn't a vacuum leak? I don't think a properly bent line would present significant flow losses. I bent mine as close as possible to the original (assuming it was original) and didn't have any issues. The old line might have worked but I had the body off so it was easy to replace. How tight were the radii on the original?

Hi Mike,

It was definitely not a vacuum leak. This was in no way a properly bent line. It was really convoluted. I tried everything else to no avail, but when I put in the new fuel line, it just came to life. I'm just happpy that it works as it should.