Front wheel bearing adjust for 1940?

Daves1940Buick56S

I am getting ready to pull the front drums to have a look at the condx of the brakes and bearings. IIRC the bearings are ball and require a preload as compared to roller. Back in the day on the rollers I used to torque to ~20 lb ft, back off to loose, go finger tight, and back off to the nearest slot for the cotter. I assume with the preload that I would torque to (some number) and just back off xx amount (1 slot? 2 slots?) for the cotter. Any advice here?

Cheers and TIA, Dave

Dave,

Per '50 shop manual, which is the oldest I have, but bearings are the same.

Tighten bearings with a 10'' wrench until bearing is preloaded at least one hex. Rotate wheel one revolution to be sure bearing is seated. Back off spindle nut until bearing is slightly loose. Tighten until all bearing looseness is just removed.Line up nut to closest cotter pin hole and install cotter pin. CAUTION; bearing preload must not exceed 1/12 turn of spindle nut.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Well I pulled the wheel and drum and all looked almost new. It appears that many of the front end components were removed and either replaced with new or sandblasted and painted. The brakes looked almost pristine with 17/64" of lining. In fact, I don't remember the drum brakes on my old 66 Fairlane ever looking this good. No leakage on the wheel cylinder or anything to note. So I decided it wasn't even worth checking the other front wheel. I will clean and repack the bearings and replace the seals next Spring.

Cheers, Dave