1937 248 Fuel Pump

dibarlaw

My 1937 Buick has been in a shop getting a "driver restoration". 3 weeks ago they were having trouble keeping it running. If they filled the carb it would run then starve. I asked then if I could send my spare fuel pumps. I believed that I rebuilt and remounted the pump that came with the car when I drove it home 25 years ago. Now not shure but I checked the 2 I had here at home. The one I rebuilt is an AC and seems to have had better suction. Checking the ones I have here The ACs actuating lever projects out 1 716" unloaded, 1 1/4' when spring is compressed (before pressure/tension on diaphram).

The other pump which now I believe was the one originally on the car(not rebuilt) is CM brand, has the lever projecting 1 5/16" unloaded and 1 3/16 spring loaded. This past week they said it has the same issue only now after manualy filling the carb bowl it will run at idle. But will run down the battery and still won't get fuel to the carb. They put on another pump from a 1937 248 engine they have in the shop. Same result. Now they are saying that the cam lobe may be worn. Don't see how since the car ran great home and ran well for several years till I began to clean up the engine. The car is now 2 hours away and will finally have to send my extra pumps to be checked. I can't check my 20 year library of the "Torque Tube" since they have it at their shop.

Larrypost-79073-143139157235_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete:

Should have prefaced my post that I had the tank cleaned prior to getting it to the shop and they made all new fuel line for it. Mabe I should ask them to check their work ie. kinked line, poor seal at sending unit etc.

post-79073-14313915764_thumb.jpg

Larry DiBarry BCA#18395