Water in trunk 63 riv

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

As I had to take down my awning for Tropical Storm Isaac it rained so hard I got quite a bit of water in my trunk (enough to soak the carpet in the trunk). It seems like the water gathers at the trunk seal on either side of the key lock and rolls in. I have a new trunk seal that looks good. Anybody got any ideas about trunk leaks in a 1963 Riv?

Thanks.

Guest Steeleco

Rex.

I think my window channel is ok, it does not seem to be comming from that area but it is possible. I will check it. I recently had the trim off and painted the car. I did not pull the window.

If the seal on the trunk is good the only other way water can get in is around the rear glass or the chrome trim on the B Pillars. Place paper on the floor of your trunk, line the whole thing, including under the rear glass. Close the trunk, then hit it with a hose for a while, simulating the rain. Dry the car and pop the trunk, see where the paper got wet.

With my car I just removed the rear glass, the sealant had gone hard in a few spots and you could see where it leaked. Luckily I had no rust but it still had water coming in.

Edited by alini (see edit history)

Guest 1963 Riviera

As In my car, I found that the screw(s) for the moulding clips around the window were leaking. dripping down onto the wheel well, then separating, half trickling down onto the cabin floor and half into the trunk.