Best oil for 31 Plymouth

Guest acebopper

Guest acebopper

What is the best oil to put in my 31 Plymouth, standard 3.2 ltr 196 ci engine also the gearbox and diff. Can I use modern oil?

Also what antifreeze can I use and % Can a remote oil filter be fitted.

Edited by acebopper (see edit history)

Guest martylum

Ace-I use 10-40 detergent oil in my 1930 DeSoto. For the trans. and differential 140 weight gear oil would be the closest equivalent to the original. Be sure not to overfill the differential or you'll have a greater likelihood ending up with gear oil on your rear brakes linings as the oil seals probably have never been replaced at the outer ends of the axle.

Plymouth probably offered an accessory bypass oil filter mounted on the firewall similar to the standard Purolater oil filters on Chryslers of this period. Autoparts anti-freeze should be fine.

E-mail me for additional details.

Bear in mind that oil change intervals for this engine were at 500 miles. I doub't you'll need a filter if you use the original change intervals.

Don't forget to check the oil level in your steering box.

Martin Lum

1930 DeSoto

marty@oldercar.com

• 1 month later...

Can you take off the oil pan and clean out any sludge buildup? Also take off the valve cover? If the engine is clean inside you can use detergent oil like 15W40 Shell Rotella. If not, and you don't want to take chances, use 30 non detergent (20 in cold weather). 10 only if driving in below freezing weather which I doubt you will be doing.