63 riv Removal of center console and installing carpet

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Is it difficult to remove the center console? Is that required when installing new carpet? Any tips from people who have done it are appreciated. Any advice from anyone is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest 63 rivenge

Not difficult at all......first the seats have to come it, (makes life easy). take off the stainless trim next to the gas pedal (if you have one) take off the screws on the lower stainless trim on the bottom of the consul,.........take the vent plates off of the back bottom of the consul (4screws each side) unscrew the shift knob,......... take out the 2 screws on the shift plate, (lift it out)........you will see a small light for the shifter, unhook that, un screw the cigarette lighter. look in the consul you will see bolts holding it down to the tranny hump.............now look under the dash next to ignition key ( 1 small bolt) on other side next to glove box another..........Stop.........reach in the at the opening of the Ash Tray and unhook the the plug going to the light switch....(.BUT FEEL FOR A SMALL BOTTON ON THE SWITCH PUSH IT IN ,THEN PULL THE LIGHT KNOB OUT).........very important to push that small knob ......now on the wiper switch back off the plate you will see 2 small slots get a screw driver tap to the left to back it off.......unhook the plug wire behind that also.........now make sure every thing is un hooked.......LIFT the consul from the rear slightly and slide it back, because you have 2 small tabs, that you dont want TO BRAKE at the front TOP of the consul.............take your time,, not that hard to do..........Then call Clarks Corvair order the pre cut carpet.......easy to install.........tip.....put all the screws and bolts in a bag and label them.........when you finish that I will walk you thru the rear seats for the carpets.........if I missed anything someone will jump in the post and help you out....take your time

Is it difficult to remove the center console? Is that required when installing new carpet? .

I think that if you remove the front and rear seats, take the screw from the rear of the console, take off the vent covers, and remove the carpet from the console to access the four screws that attach the console to the brackets, you could lift the console enough to get the carpet installed. Lift the rear enough to tuck the rear carpet under the console. Then you can lay the front two pieces by tilting the console to each side enough to get the carpet under the console. Screw the console back in place, and finish the sides of the carpet. I've never done it, but I've pulled old carpet using the same process. It might be worth a try.

Ed