technical

Guest ray_turk

Guest prs519

Ray, I was thinking vintage cars, pre-alternator, will invariably discharge at an idle (which is why alternators took over, since they can keep up at an idle). If you

run your rpms up to 1200 or so, you should see a positive charge indication. Oldtimers depended upon the fact that people would be going down the road at a higher rpm

often enough to catch up with the discharge which occurs whenever the car is idling. Perry

Another possibility is the battery is connected backwards. Some pre 50s cars had a positive ground unlike all of the cars of today. I do not know if a 1939 Buick is positive or negative ground. However, a battery connected backwards will cause the amp meter to constantly register a discharge until the battery terminals are reversed.

Guest Grant Magrath

Could be a faulty voltage regulator. Or a dirty generator comutator and brushes. Either way, see you over at the Pre-War forum!

Cheers

Grant

Another possibility is the battery is connected backwards. Some pre 50s cars had a positive ground unlike all of the cars of today. I do not know if a 1939 Buick is positive or negative ground. However, a battery connected backwards will cause the amp meter to constantly register a discharge until the battery terminals are reversed.

NEG GROUND.

Ben