locked keys in trunk, how do I get back seat out?

Hi,<P>I had a rotten day yesterday, and I locked my keys in the trunk of my '67 Buick Special Deluxe.<P>I hate the idea of having someone pop the lock out, so I tried to remove the back seat. No luck. I pushed in, and pulled out, and nothing. All I suceeded in doing is flying back and landing on the console.<P>What am I doing wrong? Am I gonna have to have someone pop my trunk lock?<P>God, I feel like a dork.<P>Amy<BR>Clovis, CA<BR> dixiesticks.jpg

#1 Don't feel like a dork.. This has almost happened to me twice since having my '71.<P>If it's anything like the early 70's A-body, the seat coushin is tough to pop out. Find the two hinge lookin things mounted on the floorboard and look how the rod runs through them. Best leverage is with your leg against the front seat back and the front of the rear seat. Push in and up, the bar should dislodge repeat for otherside. Lift up and remove. There may be a couple bolts holding the lower back rest down, undo them and just lift the back up and out as it just hangs on hooks. Unless your 4inches wide, best of luck fishing with a hook and flashlight.<P>They say installation is harder, but I found it easier. Since the back seats out, poke around for your build sheet. :-)<P>Sweet ride btw!<P>-S

I agree with Cyber...very sweet ride indeed smile.gif" border="0<BR> As to the seat...I am forever double checking I got my keys for my 55 in hand before i close the trunk...<P> As to seat removal, I use a different method...I shove the front seats as far forward as possible then squat down on the rear floor facing the back seat.<BR> Then I grab the bottom of the front of the bottom cushion and shove back as hard as I can and once back as far as I can, I lift up on the side and it usually unhooks. Repeat for the other side. It may take a few tries to get it undone, but it will unlatch...patience is key. <BR> If you are unable to maneuver yourself in the area to do this, ask a friend to assist.<P> As to the backrest, there are either bolts at the lower outer corners as you are looking at it, or tabs that are simply bent over the loop on the seat frame. Once these are undone, like Cyber said above, simply lift and pull top forward to pull away from hooks and set back down. <BR> Removing each part from car is the same, but its a snug fit...lift or pull one end away from trim until its free from the snugness and can be maneuvered out of the car...I recomend a helper to avoid trim/paint damage.<BR> To get into the trunk itself...a nice sweet little boy is best to snake himself into the trunk and get the keys as the area behind seat has X bracing and then there is the spare to contend with also. <P> All this is assuming your trunk is empty smile.gif" border="0<P> Don't feel like a goof..."stuff" happens....nobody is immune to that.<P> Good Luck and Do hunt for the build sheet while the rear seat is out...in the seat frames or under the tarpaper sound deadener under the bottom cushion.<P> <P> Let us know if you are sucessful in the build sheet hunt.<P><BR> don55

Amy,<P>Nothing to add other than the movement to compress and dislodge the seat from its anchors needs to be done quickly unless one is pretty big. Pretty sure CyberBuick is correct in that you will find the seatback cushion anchored with a screw or two after the bottom cushion is out. Trust your car is stranded in a safe place and that you have been enjoying it - good to see you still have it (and the hearses?).<P>Good luck, Gene

Guest oldtimer

1 thing to add...................get TONS of spare keys made (for every lock-if they're different) and start hiding them like its easter................

Oldtimer has offered some very good advice about making and hiding tons of spare keys. I had "one" key, and I hid it somewhere on the car (3 years ago) so it wouldn't get lost. Well, I didn't lose it, but I can't remember where I hid it either. I will find it eventually, then I'll make lot's of copies, like I should have done in the first place.<P>After reading these posts, I've decided to remove my back seat in the hopes of finding the build sheet. With any luck, I'll find the key too.<P>Pat<P>1963 Electra 225 Conv't

Once I left my car('63 Sedan deVille) keys to trunk when engine was running, fortunately to me I got home with it smile.gif" border="0 I had spare key so it wasn't big deal until I realised the wasn't in but friends house. I had to stall engine by pulling the coil wire out, it gave real punishing hit.<P>Well no harm done to me nor car smile.gif" border="0

Guest nailswede

NICE CAR!!!<P>another tip could be to try your GM-friends carkeys wink.gif" border="0 <BR>I've done that once when i was 200 miles from home on a event..<BR>my friends 55 chevy keys fitted in my caddytrunk where my son left the keys cool.gif" border="0 <P><BR>Anders<p>[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Anders Larsson ]

Instead of trying to crawl into the trunk, I used several socket extensions, one of which is about 24 inches long and I unscrewed the trunk latch from the trunk lid and it poped open. <BR> <P>A piece of rod with the ends filed square to hold a socket and give wrench flats would probably work.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all your help. Since my glove box key opened my trunk, I ended up paying a little old mobile locksmith guy $50 bucks to come out and make me a copy off of my glovebox lock. Please belive me when I tell you, that I tried to get that back seat out, I really did. I could not get that sucker to budge!<P>Amy

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw the question, can maybe help with some info. At least as late as 1967, and maybe 1968, G.M. stamped the key codes on the door lock cylinder case, on the glove box cylinder and the trunk lock case. They stopped doing this later as part of the anti-theft mandate from the government. This is only if the lock cylinders were never replaced with service parts either from G.M. or aftermaret sources like Curtis Industries.<BR>Hope this can help someone in the future.

You hear that...<P>I hope you have you original numbers matching lock cylinders smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <P>Get it... numbers matching?? grin.gif" border="0<P><BR>I'm logging off soon I promise.<P>[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]<p>[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]

• 1 month later...

If done of that other stuff works drill the center of the lock out with a small bit ,the tumblers will come out but u have to replace the lock / good luck