1925 Fuel Problems

dibarlaw

If you followed my posts on "Ok to block off heat riser," you will see I have been busy on my 1925. After I replaced all of the carb/heat riser assembly and reconnected all the linkages it would not start! Removed the fuel line from the carb and checked the fuel pump. It sounded very noisey. I thought that the 3" length of hose connecting the metal line to the pressure regulator was leaking, replaced it again. When switching on the pump, it was quieter and began pumping. Reconnected to carb and she started right up! Idled much better and ran smoother than it ever had. The intake manifold was comfortable/warm to the touch after 10 min of running. Before, after several min it was too hot to touch! And the radiator did not belch water out of the overflow. The next day my wife and I decided to drive the 1925 to a local farmers market to test on the road. Since I only had a little over 1 gal of gas (2" on the dip stick) I added about 3 more gallons of fresh gas. Seemed to start normally, (of course with the sticking clutch I still have to start in gear) and we were off. For about 30 feet.... Then it starved and quit! Wish I had a photo of Joan my wife pushing the Buick back into the garage while I steered! I pulled the fuel line again, switched the pump on again (very noisey and no fuel). Then It quieted down and began pumping again steadilly. I reconnected to carb and tried to start again. Started and ran for several min then quit again. The 6 Volt pump looks fairly recient, within the last 5 years. I guess I will look for other leaks or blockages. I did drain the tank early in the spring. I still haven't gotten around to installing my rebuilt Vacuum tank.

Another beautiful late summer day not drivig my "Driver".

Larry

Guest morerevsm3

I had a similar issue with my '27, pulled the fuel suction pipe out of the fuel tank, and the gauze screen on the bottom was blocked up

Alan:

Thanks for the tip. That may be next to do. I did reinstall my vacuum tank just haven't replumbed it back in. It does seem if I get down to the last gallon it starts to starve. Since I have not put on more than 25 miles since I got the car last October and have gone through 10 gallons of gas(2, 5 gallon cans). Even with some extended idling to check overheating and setting up of engine. I would hope I could get better than 2.5 miles to the gallon!! Took it out to my first car show today. I thought I could get at least some recognition as I thought I was the only entrant in the Antique class. Except they considered cars 25 years or older Antiques. I had the only pre-1953 original type (unmodified). No pre-war class. Only 1 mile away and it cooperated (no overheating). I am still reluctant to drive much further. That is because there is heavy traffic after that 1 mile distance. I am still having issues with the sticking clutch. This overworks the brakes. As I attempt to stop you feel the engine still driving the wheels with clutch in and brake on, almost to stop before the clutch breaks free and dissengages. On our local highway (route 30) to try to stop short in an emergency and have the clutch not dissengage would be disasterous.

Larry