Across the pond when they were new

R.White

I just thought that this advertisment for the London Motor Show in 1922 had something about it. Although not in the highest price bracket, you really needed to be well off to afford a Dodge Brothers car with English coachwork in those days. I think it gives us a flavour of those far off days.

Ray.

1922 Rover Cars Swift Family Coupe Yeovil Riley Dodge Brothers Olympia | eBay

Yes, Mike. Disc wheels were highly fashionable here in the 'roaring' twenties. British weather, being what it is, made the easy cleaning of the wheels a big hit - especially with the ladies, who, after the first world war took to the road in substantial numbers. You often see 'flappers' posing in their cars with disc wheels.

Quite why the fashion died out in favour of wire wheels, I don't really know. Perhaps it was the increasing interest in motor racing when the Rudge Whitworth knock on wheels became popular? Only a guess though.

Exchange rates are not as bad as you think. Here they are Jason.

Currency Converter - Expedia.co.uk

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Before the war the exchange rate was nearer $5 to the pound. Post war until 1950 it was $4 to the pound. In 1985 it almost achieved parity IE 1 dollar = 1 pound.

Art

Guest DodgeKCL

I remember in the 50s the Pound was 5$ Canadian or American and had been since before WWII. Any of those British car prices before WWII are 5X our $. So a car over there going for 600 Pds. was $3000 in our money!! At least 3X the cost here in Canada or the U.S. for the same vehicle. Plus the Brits have always had a horsepower tax at purchase and then every year at renewal time. So 60 Pounds horsepower tax for the yearly renewal was $300 over here. you had to have money to own anything over there. To keep the prices down but stay in the British market Chrysler built the smaller Plymouths over there in Kew but badged them as Chryslers. The '33 Plymouth was known as the "Chrysler 6 Kew" and had a smaller displacement engine, 2 7/8" bore as opposed to 3 1/8" bore at home. Mind you all Chrysler made vehicles had leather upholstery and 12 volts. All our 6 volters had 12 volts over there. I don't know that the Brits ever used 6 volts.

You are right KCL about rip off Britain. We are still being stung with high car taxation to this day. The original horse power tax I think was a R.A.C.( Royal Automobile Club) rating which penalised engine bore size - this led to a plethora of long stroke engined cars and small sixes. Before the war, still mostly well off people owned a car from new but the demand for something better than a motorcycle/sidecar combination led to the introduction of the Austin Seven with a tiny 747cc 4 cylinder side valve engine in a flimsy A frame chassis and poor brakes. It had 6 volt electrics. The public loved it and it stayed in production from 1922 until the war.

Ford introduced a £100 car and other makers like Standard produced small, cheaper cars. Another, somewhat better car to attract the mass market over here was the Morris 8. That had 12 volts and hydraulic brakes. William Morris (later Lord Nuffield) had previously made a fortune with the Bullnose (and later flat rad) Cowley and Oxford (pretty cars) and became Britain's wealthiest man and greatest philanthropist. His workforce had such admiration that they secretly built a car specially for him. Imagine that these days!

The Plymouth I remember was also built up at Kew and was badged as the Chrysler Wimbledon and was truly beautiful. American cars have always been scarce over here but my Grandfather's employers used the Chrysler and a massive Buick as funeral cars.

Before the war, from what my Dad told me, the only way that the ordinary working man could afford a car would be if they were mechanically minded and could do all the repairs themselves. Forget garage prices. Money was tight but he had an M.G. as his first car - I have a photo of it on my bedside table. The car still survives; but needs restoring. Enough of my reminiscing I think.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

The MG is a sore point with me, Mike. I don't own the car but not for want of trying. When Dad was alive I tracked down the M.G. and found out the name of the guy who owns it. The MG car club refused to divulge his address but passed on letters to the owner who stubornly refused to reply to them. All I asked for was to be able to take some photos for Dad with no obligation to sell or anything but the guy just won't play ball. The car is an early 'M' type midget with o.h.c. engine driving a vertical dynamo. Grandad (who was a cabinet maker) rebuilt the body with a 'slab' tank to replace the original tail so it looked more like the then current T.C. The photo I have is of the MG taking part in a pre war hill climb but we don't know where. This was the first car I ever went in but I don't remember anything about it as I was just a baby at the time

Sorry if I waffle on.

Ray.

That's a real shame the guy won't even let you take pictures of it... One would think he would at least offer to send you some pictures of it if he won't let you take them yourself. It may be worth a letter or two per year; sometimes persistence pays off.

I could try again, Mike, but with Dad now gone the world looks different somehow. I really wanted to be able to show him some photos of the old MG and a few years ago I would have tried to by it but now I feel as if the moment has passed.

All a bit sad really.

Ray.

I could try again, Mike, but with Dad now gone the world looks different somehow. I really wanted to be able to show him some photos of the old MG and a few years ago I would have tried to by it but now I feel as if the moment has passed.

All a bit sad really.

Ray.

Ray as you may know I lost my dad maybe 15 years ago, mid eighties, at least you were able to say your peace, ( I know you are hurting ) you dont want to know what it feels like to not have that chance, be happy with that because some people were not as fortunate as yourself and I regret every day of it.