F/S '63 401 and Dynaflow

RivNut

A guy here in the Kansas City area is replacing the 401 nailhead and Dynaflow in his '63 with a late model GM V8 and o/d transmission. The engine hasn't been run for a while but it will turn over by hand using only the fan. This will be a complete pull out - from pan to carb, fan to tailshaft, and exhaust manifolds. There's no indication of mileage. The car is not air conditioned so there's no compressor, thermal clutch, or shroud. The OE carb has been replaced with a Holley. Right now we're open offers on the entire assembly with pick-up in the Kansas City area. We (the body shop guy and myself) also have a '63 parts car. From it, we're using the front fenders, rear quarters, door skins, front fenders, and dash - the non a/c car is getting a Vintage Air unit but the owner wants to use OE vents. Everything else is for sale (if it's still on the car.) Let me know what you need and shoot me an offer. I'll give you a realistic idea of what the condition of the parts are. The parts car is well optioned, but nothing extravagant (four note horns, etc.)

Thanks,

Ed

Guest 1963 Riviera

Hi Ed,

I'm looking for Remote mirror control with moulding , my right side in not oval but diamond and I suspect I will have to change the complete unit as the diamond is a single plate without moulding.

Any idea where this have come from ?

Thanks.

Nick,

The mirror with remote is in good shape mechanically. The mirror body itself has a couple of pits in the die cast. The nice thing about these '63 mirrors is that have a reversable bezel on them that allows them to be mounted on the passenger side. The cable is only long enough to be mounted on the door, it's not like some of the later mirrors that had cables long enough to go into the dash so the driver could operate it. I should be getting the door skin off in the next day or two to give me access to the mirror mount.

Let me know what you think.

Ed

Guest 1963 Riviera

Thanks Mr Nugent.

Hey Ed, Yes my is mounted on the door. Would you be willing to seperate the mechanism

I want to replace thispost-81550-143139136184_thumb.jpg

With Thispost-81550-143139136199_thumb.jpg Would also need the moulding that covers the plate. I have the one for this piece.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Nick

I've got it. "Joy stick" and escutcheon. Before taking the cables loose, I checked it out and it works fine. It's yours for $25.00 US Dollars. You pay the shipping and handling to where ever from USA zip code 66218. I'd guess two pounds with box and packing. I can post a picture if you'd like.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Hi Ed,

I have a 64 and need the front clear lenses that go behind the chrome pcs. Also need a reverse light passenger side I believe. Also wing nut for spare hold down in trunk. Also missing light in trunk and the spring to hold jack in place. Also the clips that hold the cardboard trunk pcs in place.

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn,

I know for a fact that the front lenses are crazed. They're in one piece but have the hair line cracks in them. If you're missing them completely, these could work,

I'll check on the back up lenses, clips, and trunk light tomorrow. The jack hold down bracket and spring is very rusty - just the bracket is good, the spring can probably be replaced at any hardware store by comparing sizes. The wing nut for the spare is corroded in place to the bolt but a google search turned up lots of ideas. All you need to know is thread size and count.

Ed

I think if you'd offer the owner $400 for the combo, he'd be willing to negotiate from there. He's been told that unless it's a running engine, he shouldn't expect any more than that. Remind him that as is, it's just a rebuildable core. Let me know what you'd be willing to pay and I'll let him know. From there, I'll get a phone number for you and you two can deal directly with each other. Or send me a PM with your phone and I'll tell you a little more. I also have a pair of really rusty heads you can have for $15.00 each if you want some to rebuild. They're complete with valves and springs. Next time you're in town, give me a holler and we'll do some BBQ, I've got a plan I'd like to discuss with you.

Ed

I think if you'd offer the owner $400 for the combo, he'd be willing to negotiate from there. He's been told that unless it's a running engine, he shouldn't expect any more than that. Remind him that as is, it's just a rebuildable core. Let me know what you'd be willing to pay and I'll let him know. From there, I'll get a phone number for you and you two can deal directly with each other. Or send me a PM with your phone and I'll tell you a little more. I also have a pair of really rusty heads you can have for $15.00 each if you want some to rebuild. They're complete with valves and springs. Next time you're in town, give me a holler and we'll do some BBQ, I've got a plan I'd like to discuss with you.

Ed

Engine and trans are sold!

Still lots of other stuff available

It came with the two grills but one bar on one side is cracked. It is complete and I imagine a little JB Weld might make it pretty much unnoticeable. Depends on whether you're looking for a driver or 400 point item. It does not have the remote trunk release.

Hi Ed,

I have a 64 and need the front clear lenses that go behind the chrome pcs. Also need a reverse light passenger side I believe. Also wing nut for spare hold down in trunk. Also missing light in trunk and the spring to hold jack in place. Also the clips that hold the cardboard trunk pcs in place.

Regards,

Glenn

I have the trunk light assembly, back up light lens for you. The wing nut is available from Mr. G's on page 22 of his catalog. Do you need just the spring or the spring and wire bracket? The front lenses are solid but crazed. The crazing is hard to see through the grills. Let me know something.

Ed

It came with the two grills but one bar on one side is cracked. It is complete and I imagine a little JB Weld might make it pretty much unnoticeable. Depends on whether you're looking for a driver or 400 point item. It does not have the remote trunk release.

Driver quality is fine as long as the price is too. Let me know, or PM me.

Hi Ed,

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn,

I'm still waiting to hear from you about the back up light lens, the trunk light, and the front turn signal lenses. From your email, I can't tell if you need just the spring, or the spring w/ handle. Springs are available at most any hardware store. The number of coils might be a little different, but the length and amount of tension will be the same. If you, or anyone else, needs the handle for the spring jack, I just made one. Here's a picture of it next to an original. I took some wire from a sign that was in my yard from the recent election. Drilled some holes in a 2x4 and put some differnt sized pegs in it (Peg = drill bits and long extensions from my sockets) and started bending. It took me about an hour to get it to where I thought it was passable. If anyone needs one, contact me and I'll talk you though it or make one for you (depending on what you're willing to pay for it :).

post-50017-143139146071_thumb.jpg

The bottom one is the original.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steeleco

Currious, did the guy who was putting in a later model GM motor and transmission in his 63 riv ever get it running? Or how is his progress going?

Thanks

The old motor is out and he's beginning to think "WOW, this is more than I thought it would be." He sees now that he's going to run into problems with the steering - he's going to have to get all of the steering inkage in front of the spindles. The transmission is physically bigger and he's going to have to make some changes to his floor plan, and some other things like that. The guy who is doing it for him has done swaps before and says he doesn't see anything that can't be over come but all I see in that statement is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in his pocket. I suggested that the subframe it with a front frame from a Chevy Astro Van, and that's now under consideration. Not much progress speed wise because this is a back burner job for the guy he's hired.

Ed

Guest Steeleco

Question about engine and trans swap to a late model. Do you think it would improve fuel economy or is that more of a 4000 lb weight issue?

Thanks

Took me a while to find the article on Adam's Riviera from Las Vegas, but here it is. He has a late model LS7 in this car. Haven't seen this car in about three years, but I think you can find him through Pinto's paint shop in Las Vegas. Real nice guy. Maybe you can talk to him and get some pointers about putting an LS in your friends's 63.post-53315-143139167159_thumb.jpg

If I were going to this much trouble and were going to change the front suspension, I would look at some of the kits out there to put Corvette suspension in a late 50s Chevy pickup or F100. Frame width is about the same. Haven't put a tape to it myself, but this has been floating around in my head for a while. Might as well adapt the rear bat wing rearend as well while you are at it. Kits out there to adapt these as well. Just my random thoughts on your project. Not that you asked...

post-53315-143139167155_thumb.jpg

Edited by steelman (see edit history)