FRONT BRAKE DRUMS STUCK

Gwood

I working on a 1949 dodge coronet. This was my grandfather car and my mom said she would like to be driven around in it for her 80th birthday. As a surprise I've taken on the task of repairing this vehicle. It's all there, it just needs some maintence. I do know the passanger front tire is locked up. Does anyone know how to get the drum off so I can check the brakes out?

You will first have to adjust the brake shoes in toward the hub. If the drum spins freely after that, you should be able to remove the cotter pin on the spindle nut under the grease cap and pull the drum/hub assembly off. Only the rear drums should require a puller. After replacing the shoes adjust all four sets so that there is a very slight rubbing noise and you should have enough pedal in order to bleed them. Bleed them starting from the farthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder and work your way closer...(right rear, left rear, right front and finally left front. Make sure you keep checking the master cylinder fluid level the whole time replenishing when needed. Hope this helps.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Gwood as keiser31 advises the brakes should be backed off. At very near 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position on your backing plate are the 3/4"hex heads that are used for brake adjustment. i would use a box wrench and by swinging the wrench upwards toward the car will back off the brake adjusting cams. A little practice and you will be able to do it without even looking under there, it can be done by the feel method.

Good luck, the post-war Chrysler cars are easy to work on and fun to drive!

Jay