Bang Bang Bang Goes The Rear Brakes

redreattaruss

My '88 Reatta suffered the dreaded rear brake rattle when going over rough roads. And all California roads are rough roads. I replaced the pads which were only half worn with new quality pads. All anti-rattle clips were installed. When reconnecting the emergency brake cables, their was slack in both cables, since the cable arms are only adjustable in 60 degree increments. The lever wouldn't quite mate on the next tighter 1/6 turn.

The new brakes were quiet for awhile, but now the rattle has returned. If the emergency brake pedal is applied part way when driving, the rattle ceases.

Short of driving with the windows up, is there a cure for this annoying rattle? Perhaps I can get another 1/6 turn on the levers, now that the pads have worn in.

Thank you.

Yes. It's as tight as it will go. And still the cable hangs down when the rear brakes are released.
Maybe you need to loosen up the adjuster, reposition the arms on the calipers to the next position to take out some slack, and then use the adjuster again to fine tune???

My '88 Reatta suffered the dreaded rear brake rattle when going over rough roads. And all California roads are rough roads. I replaced the pads which were only half worn with new quality pads. All anti-rattle clips were installed. When reconnecting the emergency brake cables, their was slack in both cables, since the cable arms are only adjustable in 60 degree increments. The lever wouldn't quite mate on the next tighter 1/6 turn.

The new brakes were quiet for awhile, but now the rattle has returned. If the emergency brake pedal is applied part way when driving, the rattle ceases.

Short of driving with the windows up, is there a cure for this annoying rattle? Perhaps I can get another 1/6 turn on the levers, now that the pads have worn in.

Thank you.

1996 Cadillac eldarodo rear brakes bolt on to include the cables. You do have to use two from the same side. Not sure on what side but u can search it on the forum and u get a single pump parking brake.