WDO Accel Pump Check Ball Retain Spring

Daves1940Buick56S

All,

I am finishing up on the overhaul of the WDO-440S carb from my 40 56S - and I must say it was the filthiest carb I've seen, about 1/4" of sludge in the bowl. Anyhow, I am trying to reinstall the retaining spring clip over the check ball at the bottom of the accel pump cylinder and I am having a devil's time. Any good tricks here?

Cheers, Dave

Jon

Yeah, although it was not pleasant. I ended up using 2 small wooden dowels, about 1/8 in diam. I placed the ring using my long 4" needle nose pliers, making sure 1 side engaged the groove, then held that side in place (gently) with 1 dowel and used the other to push the other side over and into the groove as well. Once it popped in I could "massage" it with 1 dowel to make sure it was equally well in the groove. Then I went and had a beer.

Cheers, Dave

Carter released more than 400 different carburetor special tools. Most of the special tools can be "worked around" by using ones initiative, as in your case. A very few are just plain necessary to do the job right; the others can often make a difficult job quite easy. The retaining ring in question can be inserted with the special tool in a few seconds.

This particular tool is a hollow metal sleeve and a solid rod with a concaved end. One compresses the ring into the sleeve, sets the sleeve over the groove in the body, and using the rod, pushes the ring into the groove.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)