AC and Vent help on 63 riv

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

If anybody has details like pictures that show the levers that operate the ac door with it "open" (under the hood) please post. Or any good details on the center air box. For instance another thread was looking for help on the duct work. Basically any AC stuff anyone would like to share it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steele

Guest Steeleco

Thanks Jim,

I assume you are talking about the 63 Buick Chassis SM. I looked at it again today and now have a better understanding. I'm trying to figure out why the lever that opens the first air door from the fan when using AC does not open all the way, even if I try to push it manually.

Temporarily remove the vacuum actuator from the pivot arm and see if you can manually move it to where you want it. If you can not, there is some obstruction inside the duct that is keeping it from moving all the way. You will have to get in there and clear it.

If you can move the lever freely with your fingers, then the problem may be with the vacuum actuator. Make sure it is the right one for a '63. You also need to know that to get full vacuum actuator movement, you need to apply vacuum to both nipples, not just one of them. One nipple give you half motion, but it takes vacuum on both to get full motion. See shop manual.

Steele,

I took my airbox completely apart this year and redid it, though not an A/C car. Found interesting stuff in it from the nearly 1/2 century of service. All of the foam padding on the baffle doors had disintegrated and needed to be replaced. Some of the firewall material was coming apart and may have been blocking one of the baffles. Previous service attempts dropped some parts inside the box.

I can share some pictures if you need.

Chuck,

That would be fantastic, much appreciated. Pictures are good.

Thanks,

Steele Cooper

Steele,

Attaching some of the over 150 pics I took of the project. I tried to get some good before/after shots. Let me know if you need another shot or two to help.

The first pic shows the inside. You can see the part that dropped and the debris inside, along with the missing foam. Pic 3 shows the felt on the baffle door pulled off. I used a small screw driver to push back in. I took some "artistic license" on the color of the blower, and selected white to make it pop even though no one will ever see it. Pic 7 shows the whole assembly after powder coat on bench ready for installation.

I noticed your signature doesn't have an ROA number, so if you are still thinking about joining, it is probably the best $ you can spend. Members here are very helpful and knowledgeable. They are also passionate, at times, in a good way good though :).

post-65039-143139122154_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143139122157_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143139122161_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143139122165_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143139122168_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143139122171_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143139122175_thumb.jpg

Guest Steeleco

Chuck,

Thanks for the photos, they are very helpful. I think I may have a similar issue regarding the first Pic. Although the air door is opening a little farther now it may be restricted. The good news is I was able to clear a clog in my drivers side air duct. I posted that photo on another post but I think I will post it here as well. This stuff was totally blocking air from the drivers side vent (car with AC).post-85701-143139122553_thumb.jpg

Your are so right about the ROA members. They have been great. I have been a member for a couple months (ever since I got my car). I took your advise and added some info to the signature including my ROA number. Thanks again.

Steele,

Glad you are sorting through these problems. If there are some rodent issues, you may need to look for other areas they invaded. Other posts have referenced checking the headliner, seats and basically any area where wires are. They love to chew on wires, so if you have electrical gremlins, that would be one thing to check. Since you found them around the heater box, you may want to check the entire unit out. There are lots of nesting areas they can use.

Guest rsmalling
Steele,

Glad you are sorting through these problems. If there are some rodent issues, you may need to look for other areas they invaded. Other posts have referenced checking the headliner, seats and basically any area where wires are. They love to chew on wires, so if you have electrical gremlins, that would be one thing to check. Since you found them around the heater box, you may want to check the entire unit out. There are lots of nesting areas they can use.

Yes,

They like the heater duct that runs through the center console to the rear passenger area. Then all the way into the heater box, nesting, knawing, and generally making a mess.......Rodents.......Hellish creatures!