Oil ??

414TATA

I know the question about what is the best oil for these straight 8 Buicks has been addressed many many times on this forum. However I ran the "search forum" for previous post and I didn't get any old post to come up.:confused:

So I'll ask again.

What oil are you using in your straight eight Buick? I have used 10-30W detergent and just now changed to 10-30W non detergent. Should I change it out of there fast or wait for my next oil change?

I am in a hot climate 107F today with mild winters. I usually take the car on a 25-35 mile drive each week.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to bother for an old topic. Maybe I don't understand how to search previous post.:o

Wayne

1941 Buick Super 51

post-78086-143139118915_thumb.jpg

Guest Straight eight

At the top of the page in the white box I typed Oil requirements, and hit enter. I got a whole bunch of stuff.

To simplify, fill with Shell Rotella 30 weight. It has the necessary zinc, and thirty weight will protect you in the high heat.

Rotella is the oil I used in my 41 for 20 years, no problems. I now use it in my 47.

Guest Grant Magrath

Mike is on the money.

The general feeling, from memory, is detergent oil in newly rebuilt engines, and non-detergent in older engines whose history is unknown. Zinc for flat tappets. I think it's called ZDDP in the ingredients.

Cheers

Grant