Dash Panel lights - 89 Riviera

Guest luvmy89riv

Guest luvmy89riv

I have an electrical issue here. What (unit ?) makes the panel lights turn on the buttons for the headlights and wipers? I mean they are dimly lit even when the key is NOT in the ignition?

Please help. I am going CrAzY.

Thanks,

Ray

There is a photocell under the middle of the dash under the windshield. It reads the outside light and communicates that value to the BCM which then determines if the backlight should come on. But also needed to work is the inverter because your button backlight is 110 volts. If the electrical strip in your Headlight/Wiper switches are wearing out you may only get 30% to 70% light value causing your backlight to be "dim"

But the way I read your post you are saying that the backlight is on all the time. I am not sure what that would cause that [maybe your slider switch all the to the "on" position?]

You might want to head over to the Reatta forum. There are some pretty sharp guys over there. You also may want to check out Reatta Owners Journal - Home there are some tutorials over there that could help. The Reatta and Riv share many parts.

Guest luvmy89riv

Thank you Dave for your reply.

The slider switch is not all the way 'on' and the panel backlights are not on all the time.

Well, I did figure out another piece of the puzzle to my issue. The panel backlights will come on when the headlights turn on as they should. Now what I discovered is that with the 'delay' the headlights will stay on however long you have the slide set to the time, BUT when I am in the car and the delay time has expired before I shut the car door, the panel backlights will go out. BUT...when I get out of the car and shut the car door BEFORE the 'delay' for the headlights is timed out, the headlights will turn off, But the panel backlights inside will stay on. Tadaaaaa.... Now the BIG question here is 'what causes the backlights to stay on even though the headlights go out??' I did have the drivers side door switch replaced about a year ago. That is what one of the electrical repair shops thought that was the problem. So, the switch should be good. Now when I look through my car door window and see that my panel lights are still on, I open the car door and when the door switch turns the interior lights on, the panel backlights will then turn off. So, at this point, I am thinking that it could be something in the BCM that is messing up and not turning the panel lights off automatically along with the headlights after I get out of the car. Also about 1 year ago, I did replace the button panel that the headlights are on. So, other than the door switch, light button panel or the BCM, is there anything else that could be the issue?

Thanks again,

Ray

Jayson if that is the case [no backlights on the Headlight/wiper pods] you could have a number of issues, mostly either a bad photocell, bad inverter, or what just happened to me either a bad headlight or wiper switch. My case from what I was told was not previously documented [i had a good wiper switch, just the el strip was bad and wouldn't send info over to the headlight switch].

If you two want your issues resolved I would suggest heading over to the Reatta forum, where we know your cars.