A legendary Chevrolet salesman

rocketraider

Enjoy! especially the pics of the original Sir Walter Chevrolet dealership and the new car video clips!Raleigh man was legendary Chevy salesman :: WRAL.com

There was another salesman at Tar Heel Chevrolet-Olds in Roxboro NC who had a comparable daily sales record, just not as long. Ernest Bowes had the reputation of selling a car a day, six days a week.

My uncle sold Chevies at Rogers Garage and its successor, Hillcrest Chevrolet, in Hanover, NH for 35 years. He was a great guy, very personable, and I loved to hang out with him. I have no idea how many cars he sold through the years, but he made a decent living. Unfortunately, he passed away 1 year after retiring at 66. He wasn't a car guy; he would have been just as happy selling refrigerators but it was the people that he loved and the things that he did for his customers that made him successful.

Some people are born salesmen and doesn't matter what they're selling, they enjoy it.

You know John- just yesterday a longtime Chevy salesman here died. He started selling Chevrolets in 1966 at age 19 and stayed with the Chevy dealer for close to 25 years before opening his own used car lot with another of the original 1966 Tamson Chevy salesmen who was also 19 when he started selling cars.

One thing Eanes & Wyatt prided themselves on was that they sold no auction cars- all their stuff was new car trade-ins, generally dealer serviced one owner cars, and they had connections all over VA/NC.

Now that half the equation is gone, I wonder how much longer E&W will stay in business. When I bought my Mercury 2 yrs ago Wyatt said then he was looking forward to retiring and maybe moving to the coast.