Clutch Chirp

Guest Proolix

Guest Proolix

Began my old car hobby experience with the purchase of a 1947 Roadmaster last fall. Clutch had a chirp and was diagnosed as throw out bearing by several old car owners. Decided to fix the problem this summer - put in new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and clutch assembly. The only problem is - chirp is still there and it seems to be somewhat louder.

Chirping sound goes away when clutch pedal is depressed several inches and remains quiet while clutch is activated. Definitely goes by the speed of the car and is also present when car sitting at idle in neutral.

Any thoughts on why the chirping sound continues even though the throw out bearing was replaced? Since everything was replaced, at a loss as to what to check next.

Guest Proolix

Pilot bearing was replaced right along with throw out bearing and fluid level in transmission is OK. Wondering if the new bearings could be the culprit.

Pilot bearing only turns while clutch is depressed. When clutch is out pilot bearing is stationary relative to the input shaft. Also true for throw out bearing. It only turns when clutch is depressed. If there is no free play in pedal perhaps the throw out bearing is rubbing. If everything is adjusted correctly neither bearing does anything with the clutch pedal out ..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest Proolix

OK, that is what I originally thought it might be but when the clutch was initially installed, there was too much free play and the pedal wouldn't fully release clutch when depressed - the chirp was there then. It does make the most sense that it would be the throw out bearing so will go back and check adjustments to see if chirp will stop (or at least quiet down) if clutch adjustment is tweaked.

Don't know what the book says but if you adjust about an inch of free play you won't be far off. If the noise doesn't change it's prob not in the clutch. The fact that the sound eases when the clutch is depressed makes me think trans problem but it's hard to say without being there. Outside chance it could be a loose flywheel............Bob

Guest Proolix

OK, figured if it was the throw out bearing, and I released the clutch linkage, the chriping should stop. IT DOES!! However, I found a quarter inch piece of bolt in the sleeve - someone had cut a spacer rather than adjust the nuts. I reattached the linkage with the length adjusted so that the yoke would hit some resistance with the clutch out and tried to operate the clutch. No success. Am I safe to assume that there must be some spring load inside the housing holding the throw out bearing back and I didn't put enough resistance (ie. - need to add length) on the linkage. What do I do if when I add the length, the clutch works, and the chirp returns?? Too late to try it tonight, will try again tomorrow.